Fórum

Staging issue between three servers

Christian Perez, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Staging issue between three servers

Junior Member Postagens: 47 Data de Entrada: 19/07/13 Postagens Recentes
I'm try to use staging, if I use two servers A and B everything works fine, but I'm trying to use three servers A, B and C
make Stage from A to B and next from B to C, is there any way to do this?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

RE: Staging issue between three servers

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
No.

What you're looking at is not staging, it's promotion (dev->test->prod), but this is not supported.
Mark Fitzgerald, modificado 8 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 108 Data de Entrada: 15/10/10 Postagens Recentes
To follow up on what David pointed out, one option to achieve promotion of content is to use Workflow. This option gives you numerous ways to manage how content gets reviewed and promoted. You can also use it in conjunction with Staging.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 8 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
The problem is really an outgrowth of how we used to create websites...

In the olden days we had flat html files, jsp files, whatever, that included all of the content to be rendered for the site. Even for the many templating systems, content shipped inside of the development artifact so web project management mirrored software project management where an artifact would be created and tested and, at the end of each phase, would be promoted to the next layer until eventually it reached the production tier.

But it was that initial decision to see content creation as a development activity, one that should adhere to software project management methodologies and follow traditional code deployment paths.

Creating content is closer to writing a book or publishing a magazine or creating a poster or other promotional materials. They follow a completely different path than software development.

In publishing a newspaper, a writer will create the article which goes to the editor for approval and/or tweaking, maybe some other layers of review, but then the paper is printed and the article is out there (yes this is an oversimplification of the process and I hope you all can forgive me for that). They don't print a series of separate papers which get reviewed and at the pass of each results in another printing until they reach the published paper.

It was an artificial constraint applied to web content creation due to the lack of suitable tools. Web content creation had to be merged with web development because they were tightly coupled because of the tools.

Now we have the tools necessary to treat web content creation as it should be, akin to the publication processes. Content can be created by authors, approved by editors and delivered to "publication" in the production site. It is not a development process and should not be constrained to the software development lifecycle.

All too often when I'm asked why content cannot be promoted, it's typically by old school web project managers that want to continue to treat content creation as a development activity. They cannot look at a page full of Lorem Ipsums that reflect how the page will look without having the content in place. They don't get that the Lorem Ipsums are a better tool for development evaluation because it removes the focus on the content and places it on the presentation and layout which can be considered development artifacts (although this can also be a matter of interpretation as these can also be seen more as content than as a developer activity).

Unless they see the actual content in dev, test, UAT and finally production they just can't get behind it and approve it.

So we're left trying to explain how no, you don't want to do content creation in dev and promote it like code through the other layers through staging setups or (god forbid) manual movement via LAR exports.

I go so far as to avoid combining the words "content" and "development" together as I want to avoid giving the idea that content creation is somehow development. It is not and should not be. So I stick with "content creation" as that is a better phrase which represents what the authors are doing - creating content.
thumbnail
Jorge Díaz, modificado 8 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 753 Data de Entrada: 09/01/14 Postagens Recentes
Christian Perez:
I'm try to use staging, if I use two servers A and B everything works fine, but I'm trying to use three servers A, B and C
make Stage from A to B and next from B to C, is there any way to do this?

At Liferay 6.2 it is not possible to configure Staging with chained sites to avoid some problems.

At future version Liferay 7.0 I think this functionality will be enabled.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado 8 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Jorge is right, this feature is under development for Liferay 7.0. You can see the progress under this LPS:

https://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-43719