Fórum

RE: MVC recommendation

julian CI, modificado 15 Anos atrás.

MVC recommendation

New Member Postagens: 2 Data de Entrada: 06/06/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,

I need to develop some portlets for a new project and don't know which MVC framework use. ¿Any recommendation? ¿Spring? ¿Struts? ¿JSF?

Thx in advance
Julián
Roger Frauca, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 20/04/10 Postagens Recentes
It is and old question, but I’m asking my self the same thing. Spring? JSF? Vaading?
Somebody have an opinion?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14914 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
I've had great success with Vaadin as a portlet framework. Once you get over the learning curve, the ability to create reactive portlets in a Java-only framework begins to feel like *the* RAD environment for Liferay.

JSP, Spring, Struts, JSF, etc. are all viable options, but IMHO they do not compare to Vaadin, especially considering the AJAX-like capabilities built into Vaadin.
Roger Frauca, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 20/04/10 Postagens Recentes
Thank you,

we will try vaadin hten.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Agree with Juan and Vitor. It's very easy to program with JSF and it's very good to develop simple pages, but I've seems so many people getting into performance and memory problems that I tend not to recommend it too much. Vaadim is still in development. The most stable and production ready framework is Spring MVC (JSP) + Ajax (jQuery).
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
Vaadin is still in development.

You make it sound almost like it's a bad thing... emoticon Vaadin 6 is in maintenance mode (dot releases to fix bugs), but work is continuing towards the release of Vaadin 7. I've been using 6 and have found it to be extremely stable. Still trying to fine-tune the deployment of dot releases to a running Liferay instance (currently using an EXT plugin to deploy the jar and plugins, and a hook project to deploy the theme updates).

I've been using Vaadin for months now. It's very stable and very easy to use. It's all done in Java, so we don't have to worry about html, javascript, tag libraries, etc. Since it uses the GWT, it is mostly implemented in the client browser and is very responsive.

I only have two concerns with the framework. The first is whether the vaadin jar should stay in the ROOT/WEB-INF/lib directory when there are a lot of portlets using it (I'm thinking I need to relocate them to the global class loader, but I still need to take and analyze the measurements). The second is binding the Vaadin data-based widgets to ServiceBuilder (the injection of SB between Vaadin's data-based widgets complicates their native data scrolling abilities).
thumbnail

I'm still having some I18N issues with Vaadin. It's causing errors.

I'm actually using Liferay MVCPortlet + jQuery and SpringMVC + jQuery because I have to get others to maintain what I've developed and most Java developers are comfortable with jsp, Spring, and jQuery because there are already many resource available. We also use AlloyUI because that's what currently being used in liferay but there's still too much functionalities that missing and there's still not too many third party projects.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
I would develop using simple MVCPortlet + JSP.

I've heard about scalability (performance) issues when using Vaadin (didn't check by myself). I am a JSF developer and know some performance issues appearing without applying some best practices.

This issues can be very hard to change once you have a system running in production environments, so better start ok.

I would keep it simple as I could.
thumbnail
Vitor Silva, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 36 Data de Entrada: 03/05/12 Postagens Recentes
Yeah, I've used JSF, Struts and Spring MVC. I tend to go for Spring MVC with an AJAX framework on top.
I've never used Vaadin, so I don't have an opinion on this.
thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 171 Data de Entrada: 23/09/09 Postagens Recentes
If you are OK with UI frameworks like AlloyUI or JQuery then probably the MVCPortlet + JSP + some UI framework would be the most clean and flexible solution. Otherwise Vaadin is very good alternative. It's been a few years since the list time I used JSF and apparently it has improved a lot since then, but given the alternatives I personally wouldn't take the risk of getting back to the world full of complexity, poor performance and weird issues.
thumbnail
Neil Griffin, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2655 Data de Entrada: 27/07/05 Postagens Recentes
Sometimes the best choice depends on your existing skillset or the existing skillset of your development team. Also, the choice might depend on how well supported the technology is within Liferay Portal.

For example, if your team has strong skills with JavaScript, then extending the Liferay MVCPortlet combined with JSP+AlloyUI would be a good choice. Since AlloyUI is based on YUI, probably best to use YUI utility functions rather than JQuery utility functions. If you are a Liferay EE customer, then Liferay would be able to provide support if you run into problems.

(Note that you can also use JSP+AlloyUI with Struts and SpringMVC portlets).

If your team does not have strong skills with JavaScript, then JSF or Vaadin would be a good choice, because a lot of automatic JavaScript and Ajax features are built into them.

If your team has strong skills with JSF, then Liferay Faces combined with ICEfaces, PrimeFaces, or RichFaces would be a good choice. Often times development shops choose JSF because it is a Java EE standard, and they want to stay standards-based if they can. Again, if you are a Liferay EE customer, then Liferay support would be able to better support you. If you are also an ICEfaces EE customer, then the technology partnership between Liferay and ICEsoft would help with resolving any compatibility issues.

If you have strong skills with GWT or Vaadin, then that's a good choice because there is a technology partnership between Liferay and Vaadin.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
I have few recommendations:

1) stick with what you know (please don't let it be struts though)
2) choose a framework that has native support for portlet lifecycle as it'll make you Liferay easier
3) choose right framework for the job. You don't need ICEFaces or Spring MVC to display a simple piece of content where a GenericPortlet + JSP is sufficient

JSF and Vaadin are good for certain kind of projects but you shouldn't blindly use them for everything. I'm a big fan of Spring Portlet MVC but still most of the stuff I write these days are just Liferay MVCPortlet + JSP + AlloyUI.
Sebastian Frankfurt, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 13 Data de Entrada: 27/05/12 Postagens Recentes
Mika, for the combination of Liferay MVCPortlet + JSP + AlloyUI I need skill in JavaScript, or?

I would prefer it that Java creates my JavaScript for me.
thumbnail

AlloyUI requires some Javascript skills to use.
If you want to code mainly in Java, use Vaadin. It's possible to use Vaadin with Google Web Toolkit, but I've heard rumor of Google putting more strength into Dart.

Thx for the fast reply.

So it seems that I have the choice between "performance" and "everything in Java" :-)
thumbnail

Well, if you feel comfortable using the technology, it's probably "right" for you.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
It's possible to use Vaadin with Google Web Toolkit...

Possible? Vaadin is based upon the GWT. If you use Vaadin, you use GWT. Vaadin just provides a decent framework on top of GWT to kickstart development...

Are there any tutorials about building portlets with Vaadin?
thumbnail

Are there any tutorials about building portlets with Vaadin?

A little bit old:
http://www.liferay.com/en/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Developing+Vaadin+Applications+as+Liferay+Portlets
Lior Hadaya, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 138 Data de Entrada: 24/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
I'm also leaning towards using Spring MVC.
Can anyone tell me if there's any risk in developing a regular, standard portlet, i.e GenericPortlet, and not inheriting from MVCPortlet?
Could it lead to problems when working with Liferay?

Thanks
thumbnail
Apoorva Prakash, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 658 Data de Entrada: 15/06/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

I think, this post can help you in this regard.

Thanks,
Apoorva Prakash
Lior Hadaya, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 138 Data de Entrada: 24/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Apoorva, but I'm still not quite sure.
Do I actually loose functionality by not using MVCPortlet or can I achive everything I need when using GenericPortlet with Spring MVC & javascript?
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Using GenericPortlet is just fine since it's in the portlet API.
thumbnail

Can anyone tell me if there's any risk in developing a regular, standard portlet, i.e GenericPortlet, and not inheriting from MVCPortlet?
Could it lead to problems when working with Liferay?

Liferay MVCPorlet is supported by Liferay IDE. If you're new to programming in general, MVCPortlet offers a quick way to create a portlet. Many of liferay's documents are also based on using MVCPortlet too. There shouldn't be any functional differences.
Narasimha Y, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 3 Data de Entrada: 31/01/12 Postagens Recentes
hai friends,

We are new to Liferay, we want to develop a portal in Liferay 6.1, spring3.0 and JSF 2.0.
is it possible Liferay MVC with JSF2.0 ?

I mean Liferay MVC + JSF2.0 + Alloy UI, if it is possible how to do that, plese advise us about basic configuration.
thumbnail

We are new to Liferay, we want to develop a portal in Liferay 6.1, spring3.0 and JSF 2.0.
is it possible Liferay MVC with JSF2.0 ?

Please create a new thread if you have a new question. Please do not try to hijack a thread started by other person.
thumbnail

Vaadin is based upon the GWT. If you use Vaadin, you use GWT.

Should have been more accurate. Development of GWT widgets in Vaadin is also supported.
Note, that some projects "hide" the technology which they use and discourage direct usage. :-)