Navigation of Portlets by using Links

thumbnail
Venkat Kumar, modificado hace 16 años.

Navigation of Portlets by using Links

New Member Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 10/04/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi All,

I am new to the liferay portal.

I have a page contains two colums.
In fist column I want to create a portlet, contains links for all my Custom Portlets.
when ever i click any one of the link, the portlet should display on the sencond column.
If i click another click for portlet it will replace the Existed Portlet in sencond column.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Venkat.
thumbnail
Ray Augé, modificado hace 16 años.

RE: Navigation of Portlets by using Links

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
Hello Venkat,

Liferay is not designed this way.

It would be far simpler to follow the example bellow.

Suppose there are 5 custom portlets you need to display.

- Create 5 two column layouts (5 pages).
- In the first column of each layout/page place a Navigation portlet
- In the second column of each layout place one of the 5 custom portlets untill all 5 portlets are on their own layout

You now have to pattern you described above... but instead of one layout you have 5, but still have th side navigation.

HTH! emoticon
thumbnail
JR Houn, modificado hace 16 años.

Thread moved

Expert Mensajes: 488 Fecha de incorporación: 19/11/07 Mensajes recientes
Thread moved: Using Liferay.
-jr
federico piazza, modificado hace 15 años.

New Member Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 6/03/09 Mensajes recientes
I'm needing to do the same that Venkat, but it is not functional to have 5 different layout, If I need to modify the navigation portlet I will have to modify 5 times.

Can we do this in a better way??

Thanks in advance
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado hace 15 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1228 Fecha de incorporación: 14/04/08 Mensajes recientes
If I need to modify the navigation portlet I will have to modify 5 times.

Not always.
If your 'navigation' menu is liferay's Navigation portlet or Sitemap portlet, and you change the URL hierarchy or add new pages, the 'navigation' menu will reflect the changes on all 5 pages.

Another way of making a 'navigation' menu would be creating a hand-made article with friendly url links within it, which will look like a menu. Deploy Article Content portlets on all 5 pages and point them to the same 'navigation menu' article. You would only need to change the article content in one portlet, the rest will display your change automatically.

In case if you need to display everything on the same page, custom portlet development can not be avoided. We use this style of display in our EDMS, one portlet represents content of a 'virtual folder', the rest of portlets on this page will render whatever selection has been made; invoices, product catalogue items, other related electronic records.
For all items on your page your would have to use InterPortlet Communication for the propagation of selection events.

Some simple screendumps can be found in this thread.

Hello Victor, thank you for reply. My problem is when I need to change the navigation portlet style, for example I've just changed my navigation portlet font in one page, but this change doesn't reflect in my other pages, I have to go to all pages and changes the font style... is there any way to improve this?

Thank you again
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1228 Fecha de incorporación: 14/04/08 Mensajes recientes
Not really, if you use standard Navigation portlet. The style of display is stored in portlet's preferences, which are unique per portlet instance, ie. stored in liferay database for each portlet instance separately.

Luckily, this 'feature' gives headache only during the look-and-feel development phase. Never has to be touched once passed to production environment.

Excellent! This is a good new to me.... but now, How can I do to add an specific instance of the navigation portlet? For example, I create the following child structure:

Home (portlet)
\-- News (portlet)
\-- Solutions (portlet)
\-- Contact us (portlet)

In News section, I create my navigation portlet and I set on it all my style... so, How can I do to add this portlet that I've created to Solutions and Contact us??

Thanks!!
thumbnail
steve rieger, modificado hace 15 años.

Re: [Liferay Forums][2. Using Liferay] RE: Navigation of Portlets by using

Expert Mensajes: 436 Fecha de incorporación: 11/09/06 Mensajes recientes
any sub pages will automagically be included in the navigation portlet
depengin on the setting of the navigation portlet
thumbnail

Federico, I hate doing this, but it may be appropriate in your case (I mean pointing to own sites from liferay forum). Have a look at one of my sites. This is the link http://www.myoffice24x7.com/web/guest/products.

You should be able to see there the Navigation portlet instance which is called 'Products'. It is deployed on every page of the products/ hierarchy. When you click to a link, liferay goes to another page which contains own instance of Navigation portlet called 'Products' and different Article Content portlets. Play around, but make sure that you do not kill the system (I'm joking).

Important note: Navigation portlet will not show links that are defined as hidden.
thumbnail
Wilson Man, modificado hace 15 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 581 Fecha de incorporación: 21/06/06 Mensajes recientes
very nice website Victor! =)
thumbnail

Here we go, I knew it... Why did I put this link here?

(Wilson, thanks for encouragement, but next time -> click on 'friend' link, so you can post comments on my private wall and I will also make another good friend.)
tom aronsons, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensajes: 21 Fecha de incorporación: 29/04/11 Mensajes recientes
This is a blow to Ajax.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Try panel page type it does that pretty much.