Radio Liferay Episode 33: Jari Järvelä, Janne Hietala on Valamis
Community Blogs September 24, 2013 By Olaf Kock Staff
About a month ago I had the opportunity to talk to Jari Järvelä and Janne Hietala from Arcusys. They both head Valamis, an E-Learning solution on Liferay that later (end-of-August) won the Liferay App Contest. Unfortunately, a lot of work as well as my summer vacation kept me from releasing this podcast earlier (well, for me it was not quite unfortunate that I had a vacation)
- the history of name changes, starting with "JSCORM"
- The meaning and origin of the name
- The release schedule (they met the schedule that we discussed during the recording, released end-of-August)
- Features that have been added throughout the history of the project.
- The version released in August now has a Curriculum Portlet that combines different courses into a Learning Path.
- SCORM, the prevalent standard for exchanging E-Learning information. This standard is typically used as distribution format for commercial courses and Valamis supports SCORM 1.2.
- We talked about Liferay Certification being available "soon" - that was true at the time when we recorded the podcast, it's actually available now
- License, Availability and Price (hint: LGPL, and there's professional support available)
- There's a steady team working full-time on Valamis.
- Design aspects: The Arcusys Team really cares about design aspects, both in the software, as well as in their presentations.
- Geography for beginners, we talk about finish climate, ice-fishing, and "where is Finland"
- If you want to try Valamis without installing it yourself, just try it on their homepage: A demo environment is available
- Picking up my favourite code demo, sevencogs, from my last-year's symposium presentation "Well Hidden Features"
- The experience of publishing on Marketplace, PACL and PACL differences between application servers
- Future Features and Release Plans (e.g. Tin Can API)
- How to evolve from a Learning Management System to a Learning Portal
- The principle of Aiming High
- There's no shortage of standards to implement
- The team is working with a school in Afghanistan to provide what might be the first e-learning system in an afghan school, also connecting them to finnish schools and students.
- Upcoming Symposiums, Portal Solutions Forum, DevCon
- Since we recorded, Valamis won the Liferay Marketplace App Contest
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory.