留言板

Greek translation

Angelos Varvitsiotis,修改在11 年前。

Greek translation

New Member 帖子: 3 加入日期: 12-11-20 最近的帖子
Hello,

I am starting this new thread with regard to the Greek translation.

A few words about history. I could not help but noticing that the pre-existing Greek translation of Liferay messages was poor, to say the least. Auto-translated messages often did not make sense, and manually translated messages suffered from the fact that they had been contributed by several distinct developers, without a central view.

As a result, even for manually-contributed translations, there often were two or more different translations for the same thing. Add to that a few mistakes that seemed to have occurred from tools that placed the wrong message in the right-hand-side of the wrong key, and there you have the status at which I started working

I decided to adopt a method of translating the messages file as a whole document. During the course of translation, I often resorted to refer to my own translations, to make sure they were consistent (i.e., the same translation, be that a single word or a phrase) was used for the same thing.

My result is far from perfect, and I am sure there will be suggestions from Greek fellows, which will improve this first attempt of mine. However, from my own testing with Liferay, the feeling one gets from getting in touch with Liferay speaking (my version of) Greek is far better than before. I 'd be glad to hear how other Greek people using Liferay think about that (even criticism is fine, as long as it is accompanied by suggestions on how to improve the result). Suggestions are welcome!

Later on in this thread, I will add some helpful hints on backporting the translations to any CE or EE version.

Greetings to all,

Angelos
thumbnail
Julio Camarero,修改在11 年前。

RE: Greek translation

Liferay Legend 帖子: 1668 加入日期: 08-7-15 最近的帖子
Hi Angelo,

I just added you to the Liferay Translation Team. Let us know when you upload a profile picture so that we can display it there too.

Welcome! emoticon

Hi Julio,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have uploaded my translations file for the main portal to Pootle (quite a few times, as a matter of fact), but I do not see any reaction from Pootle, other than a message that there are two submissions from me. I have also sent the translations to you and Daniel via private email, but no reply came to that, either. Could you please confirm the uploads and/or the receipt of my mail, and take any further actions that are required?

Regards,

Angelos

Hello,

It has been quite some time since I uploaded my Greek translations into pootle. However, there seems to be some problem either with the translations, or with pootle (or with both). Pootle is now confused and has lost the relation of the translations with the english originals. As a result, pootle thinks that translation is complete by 8% (which is wrong). The translations file should be correct, so any Greek user is welcome to try it out.

Moreover, I have also made some mistake. There is one submission I have done with the wrong account (and it should be deleted as a whole, however I do not know how to do this). And, there are some suggestions by user "thkala", however these have been uploaded without conversion (native2ascii), and are displaying wrong (for example, like this: ŸÎ¹ πολιτικές κωδικού πρόσβα), so I cannot really work on them. This submission should be deleted, too, as a whole (and re-submitted). I would also suggest that we all wait until the issue with pootle is resolved.

As to the problem with pootle, I have contacted Julio (Camarero) and Daniel (Sanz), however I do not have a reply yet. I hope either of Julio and Daniel will take care of all the above issues (or tell someone who is going to take care). Sorry for messing up, guys! I thought it was going to work, but it didn't...

As to porting to older/EE versions, I plan to post an attachment with a 3-way patch program that works as follows: it will compare the keys of the current english translation (e.g., the latest one from pootle), and the keys of the english translation in your target version (e.g., 6.1.10 EE). It will then produce a Greek translation taking the original (e.g., pootle) translation, and substituting all the keys that have changed between the english original and the target version with the english version tagged with "[EDITME]". Thus, by only re-translating a few keys, you will have your target version! It's very simple, and I have used it successfully to port between 6.1.0 CE, 6.1.10 EE, 6.1.20 EE and the latest pootle version of the messages.

That patch is currently under review by Daniel. I hope there will be some feedback soon.

Regards,

Angelos