留言板

Prevent CSRF attack

thumbnail
Manish Yadav,修改在10 年前。

Prevent CSRF attack

Expert 帖子: 493 加入日期: 12-5-26 最近的帖子
Hi,
I want to use the authentication token to prevent Cross Site Request Forgery. It should be included in actions requests. I tried to put:

auth.token.ignore.actions=
session.enable.url.with.session.id=false
auth.token.check.enabled=true
portlet.add.default.resource.check.enabled=true
auth.token.impl=com.liferay.portal.security.auth.SessionAuthToken

in portal-ext.properties, but unfortunately it didn't work. What is missing? (I'm using Liferay 6.1 GA2)

Regards,
Manish Banwari lal Yadav
thumbnail
Tomáš Polešovský,修改在10 年前。

RE: Prevent CSRF attack

Liferay Master 帖子: 676 加入日期: 09-2-13 最近的帖子
Hi Manish,

in 6.1 GA2 the token should be present in action URLs OOTB.

There are 2 whitelists that can prevent adding the p_auth token into URL:
1, auth.token.ignore.actions
2, auth.token.ignore.portlets

What exactly doesn't work?

Best,
-- tom +
thumbnail
Manish Yadav,修改在10 年前。

Expert 帖子: 493 加入日期: 12-5-26 最近的帖子
Thanks Tomas for your quick response emoticon

Below both properties i'm not using in portal-ext.properties and also checked with empty values for below properties

auth.token.ignore.actions
auth.token.ignore.portlets

I'm Using server resource(AJAX) method. for submitting form. Whether any to append that parameter in url for server resource method.

In addition of above i checked in myaccount portlet also.There is no p_auth value in url.

Thanks In Advance
Manish Yadav
thumbnail

Ahh, got it emoticon

You are right, we don't check p_auth in resource serving.

To implement CSRF checking you need 2 things:
1, Include it into URL when submitting
2, Check it on server side and deny access to the resource when the token is invalid

For #1:
In 6.1 GA2 there is a global JS variable named Liferay.authToken. It contains CSRF token you can use from your JS and include it into the resource request call.

For #2:

it's up to you where you check it. Some thoughts:
* I don't think it's a good to check it on a global portal level, this could make portal unstable
* It's better to check it only for your portlet/functionality you want to guard.

To the implementation
- I'd create a portlet filter for the resource phase
- there I'd check the CSRF token - use AuthTokenUtil.getToken(PortalUtil.getHttpServletRequest(resourceRequest)) to obtain the token

You can then only map the filter to portlet(s) you want to guard using the CSRF token.

I hope it would to work, I didn't try it emoticon

-- tom +
thumbnail
Mihail Zheludev,修改在10 年前。

Junior Member 帖子: 43 加入日期: 13-1-8 最近的帖子
Tomáš,

For #1:
In 6.1 GA2 there is a global JS variable named Liferay.authToken. It contains CSRF token you can use from your JS and include it into the resource request call.

How it can be implemented for GA1 ?
thumbnail

Mihail Zheludev:
Tomáš,

For #1:

How it can be implemented for GA1 ?

It's value of AuthTokenUtil.getToken(request) - https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/blob/6.1.1-ga2/portal-web/docroot/html/common/themes/top_js.jspf#L303

To have it the same as it is in 6.1 GA2, I'd create a JSP Hook which runs with each page (as it is with top_js.jspf) and initialize the JS variable there.

You can also put it into Theme that you use or your portlet.
thumbnail

Tomáš Polešovský,

Thanks!
thumbnail

Tomáš Polešovský,

Can you tell, does GA1 implement this protection by default for render and action requests?
thumbnail

Mihail Zheludev:
Tomáš Polešovský,

Can you tell, does GA1 implement this protection by default for render and action requests?

Yes, but only for action requests. Portlet render requests should not change portlet state.
thumbnail

Thanks a lot!
Marcus Högberg,修改在10 年前。

New Member 发布: 1 加入日期: 13-9-6 最近的帖子
We've had a security company run penetration tests on our site and their report indicates that the "Document and media" portlet is vunerable to CSRF attacks.
Does anybody know why "document_library/edit_file_entry" is put under auth.token.ignore.actions? Is it safe to remove this struts action from the ignore list?
thumbnail

Hi Marcus,

I believe that is because of some limitation of flash file uploader. But it's possible that this was already fix and is there only for historical reasons.
thumbnail

Hi Long,

Long Nguyen Hai:
Tomáš Polešovský:

For #1:

Hi,
As my understand this token might have been implemented as a method of protecting against cross-site request forgeries.

True.

Long Nguyen Hai:
While this method does provide some protection, it is easily bypassed since the token is stored in an object in the JavaScript called Liferay.authToken.

I don't believe it can be easily bypassed with nowadays browsers (without modifying victim's browser, sniffing traffic, using other vulnerability in browser / portal, etc.).

Can you share your idea on how would such CSRF attack look like?

Long Nguyen Hai:
So with this token can users have the server execute Ruby,Python,Javascript,Groovy and Beanshell ?

The token isn't directly related to a server side scripting. It's just a protection against CSRF.

Admins are able to execute the scripting from Control panel Console or you can implement such functionality yourself inside your plugin. See https://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.2/user-guide/-/ai/using-scripting-for-advanced-flexibilit-liferay-portal-6-2-user-guide-19-en