留言板

about automatic translation

thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在9 年前。

about automatic translation

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6396 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
I've always been planning to create an automatic translation *to* english to demonstrate the problems with this approach. I think that this tweet is an appropriate statement that I had to share outside of twitter with the translation crew. Hope you enjoy as much as I do. (The manual translation would be "please lock door", but the automatic translation to english is 100% correct as seen in that photo)
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在9 年前。

RE: about automatic translation

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14914 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Eh, if you all would just give up on non-english languages, we wouldn't have translation issues do deal with. No more i18n, no more paid translation teams or automatic translations to worry about...

emoticon (in case the smiley doesn't translate, no I don't think this and was just trying to be funny)

Seriously, though, that's a great example of why automated translation fails. When you only translate individual words without understanding or including context in the translation, then your translation is going to be pretty rough...
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen,修改在8 年前。

Junior Member 帖子: 31 加入日期: 09-9-28 最近的帖子
David H Nebinger:
Eh, if you all would just give up on non-english languages, we wouldn't have translation issues do deal with. No more i18n, no more paid translation teams or automatic translations to worry about...

emoticon (in case the smiley doesn't translate, no I don't think this and was just trying to be funny)

Seriously, though, that's a great example of why automated translation fails. When you only translate individual words without understanding or including context in the translation, then your translation is going to be pretty rough...

David, the solution is for everyone to adopt Esperanto. Problem solved! emoticon
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14914 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Jonathon Omahen:
David, the solution is for everyone to adopt Esperanto. Problem solved! emoticon

I tell my daughter all the time that English is a harder language than most others. Esperanto would be an acceptable choice, but the conservatives here in the US will never go for it emoticon
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen,修改在8 年前。

David H Nebinger:

I tell my daughter all the time that English is a harder language than most others. Esperanto would be an acceptable choice, but the conservatives here in the US will never go for it emoticon

It's true...for now. I'm biding my time and secretly developing a killer Esperanto course to train people up to conversational fluency in 150 hours of study. Then, when everything collapses and English takes a nosedive Esperanto can win everything!!!!

Or.....not. ;)
Patrick Moreschi,修改在8 年前。

New Member 发布: 1 加入日期: 15-7-7 最近的帖子
Olaf Kock:
I've always been planning to create an automatic translation *to* english to demonstrate the problems with this approach. I think that this tweet is an appropriate statement that I had to share outside of twitter with the translation crew. Hope you enjoy as much as I do. (The manual translation would be "please lock door", but the automatic translation to english is 100% correct as seen in that photo)

I don't agree that automatic translation to English is 100% correct as machine translation only does word to word translation without comprehending the information which might have to be corrected manually later on...
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在8 年前。

Patrick Moreschi:

I don't agree that automatic translation to English is 100% correct as machine translation only does word to word translation without comprehending the information which might have to be corrected manually later on...

The point is that this would troll english developers who decide that automatic translation "is good enough" to translate to other languages and make them understand first hand what automatic translation does. It'd be a fun project, no business value. Personal joy if you enjoy trolling (I do, especially if it's "quality trolling").
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen,修改在8 年前。

I agree that automated translation needs to stop. Most widespread machine translation engines, though, aren't doing word-for-word translation. Instead, their using heuristics and a statistical analysis model based on an extant corpus, which corrections coming from the target language community. This can have widely variant results, sometimes quite hilarious. But since machine translation moved away from syntactic processing to essentially crowdsourcing, its results are even less applicable to software, where context drives very specific interpretations of small amounts of text.

Point taken, though. Unfortunately the majority opinion is that "something is better than nothing", though I may not be convinced of it. emoticon
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen,修改在8 年前。

Olaf Kock:

The point is that this would troll english developers who decide that automatic translation "is good enough" to translate to other languages and make them understand first hand what automatic translation does. It'd be a fun project, no business value. Personal joy if you enjoy trolling (I do, especially if it's "quality trolling").

I'd love a screenshot of a poorly auto translated English version. Perhaps a custom locale for it? ;)
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在8 年前。

Jonathon Omahen:
I'd love a screenshot of a poorly auto translated English version. Perhaps a custom locale for it? ;)

Only a screenshot? Full blown translation would be great. I never set aside the 60 minutes it probably would take (including the signup to the Microsoft cloud - in fact, I signed up once and got lost in the options)

And to David, or actually both of you: I thought that US-English wasn't that complex ;)
<duck/>
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen,修改在8 年前。

Olaf Kock:

And to David, or actually both of you: I thought that US-English wasn't that complex ;)
<duck/>

Hahah, that's great! I love this screencap.
thumbnail
Bijan Vakili,修改在8 年前。

Expert 帖子: 375 加入日期: 09-3-10 最近的帖子
Olaf Kock:
Hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Very funny, Olaf! Had me stumped there.

A long time ago I saw a project; that had creative approach to solve this; it queried many open source projects; grabbed all of their translation properties; and when translation was needed, queried; if a match found, it suggested that one; which made translation job much easier. For past few years, I tried to find that proj; but have been unable to find so far; I think it was for Elgg, but they've changed much; they use Transifex at moment, not same. In any case, thanks for enlightening post.