留言板

Setup for team development to target Liferay EE in production

Jaikish Thamarasseril,修改在8 年前。

Setup for team development to target Liferay EE in production

New Member 发布: 1 加入日期: 15-4-28 最近的帖子
Hi,
I would like to understand what the standard setup for team development of a Liferay portal targeted to be deployed in an enterprise edition of the product in production. Is there some sort of developer licenses that are issued along with EE licenses for production so that we can do our development and unit testing on the developer machines against the Enterprise Edition of the product itself? Would also like to know the recommended process for integrating the developed artifacts in a team scenario.

Best regards,
Jaikish
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

RE: Setup for team development to target Liferay EE in production

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Yes, you can get developer licenses for your developers to use.

And they should. You never develop against CE with plans of deploying to EE, even for the same version there is enough of a difference that you should stay with EE for development.

Also be sure everyone is at the same SP/patch level. You don't want a dev creating a JSP hook for SP1 when it may be a changed JSP page in SP11.

For team dev, it is often better if you can break your plugins up and assign to separate members. Sometimes that's not possible, but when it is it saves you from having to worry about code mergers.

If you're a big shop and/or you care about code quality, well then your devs should check into a revision control system and you'll have a build system to complete builds and run test cases and the artifacts from the build system are used for deployment.
Jason Lehmer,修改在8 年前。

New Member 帖子: 8 加入日期: 12-3-27 最近的帖子
Related to this, I'm curious what others are doing in regards to the database instance used for development. Are development teams generally connecting to a shared dev or sandbox database instance or are teams setting up local database instances (say a SQLite or H2) to do development locally?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Depends upon what the devs are doing and what they need.

For example, I can do all basic development using HSQL. It just works, although it's a pain to do DB-type stuff in there.

So I also have a local MySQL environment. That works better because I can get in using the command line and issue queries.

For integration testing, a shared database should be used.

If a developer is doing something where they need to code or test against a particular dataset, it might be easier to point them at a shared database.

In general, though, I think it's better to keep devs in their own database. They can change passwords, add/remove things, etc. without impacting the team. You get a dev that takes down a shared team database and everyone's stuck waiting for it to get back up.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
Totally agreeing with almost all aspects that David mentions. The only disagreement is not Liferay related: I consider revision control mandatory even for a single professional developer, let alone for a team. Scratch the "should" and team-size conditions, just make sure to have revision control. Everything else: Do as David says