留言板

DDL vs Standard Web Content

thumbnail
Nick Burton,修改在8 年前。

DDL vs Standard Web Content

Junior Member 帖子: 51 加入日期: 14-7-13 最近的帖子
I am trying to decide whether I need to use a Dynamic Data List or stick with Standard Web Content.

My usage case means that I need ...
a. A variety of forms from which records can be created.
b. The ability for admin users to define the data definitions for each form.
c. To ensure that the records are listed in an accessible way and searched.

So far ... I would say standard web content would be the way forward.

Though, I also need to ...
d. Display the data definition forms in multiple ways.

I am struggling to decide between using a series of DDLs or Standard Web Content types.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
thumbnail
Andew Jardine,修改在8 年前。

RE: DDL vs Standard Web Content

Liferay Legend 帖子: 2416 加入日期: 10-12-22 最近的帖子
Hey Nick,

I can see that a lot of people appear to have looked at this post but not one has tried to help yet, so I'll give it a shot. This feels like a classic example of "many ways to skin a cat" -- a pretty gross expression now that I think about it. In these situations, personally, I try to apply some of the "academic" principles of a feature. In this case, lets say you need multiple forms to be used for data entry -- say: clients, product, customers, etc. Correct you could do it with either item, but then I would think -- it's not really WEB CONTENT ... its more data entry right? (this is all assuming of course I have understood your requirements). In that case I think I would probably go with the DDL so that, as you say, you have more control over the layout and behaviour of the form.

Another possible option, I have never used myself admittedly but, that you might want to check out is the web forms portlet: https://www.liferay.com/marketplace/-/mp/application/15195519. I feel as though I have read somewhere that it is yet another option for the DDL though -- so be forewarned, I may just be adding more variables to your decision making process emoticon

.. maybe you could give us a concrete use case of how one of the DDL/WebContent/Forms would be used both from and entry perspective and a display perspective?
thumbnail
Nick Burton,修改在8 年前。

Thanks, Andrew.

My usage case is:
I want to create a Health and Safety system. This will contain many forms that users will complete in order to create records that record performance.
With DDLs I cannot use the Asset Publisher. Therefore, I lose a quick and simple way to add content display management. I assume that with DDLs I would need to create some coded display mechanism for multiple records?

I chose to use Standard Web Content. That way I can create a Data Structure and a Display Template. From there I simply dynamically display content within the Asset Publisher. When there becomes hundreds of records for each structure I will expect users to use the search function.

The parameters of my usage case are:
1. I need only one form per data structure
2. I can live without formatting the form (though this would be good, but not enough to encourage me to use DDLs)
3. I only need one template per structure

Does that make any sense?

I assume that Standard Web Content do not allow you to create a Form Display Template and that DDLs cannot be displayed within the Asset Publisher.
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在8 年前。

Hey Nick,

I suppose, if you don't really care about what the form looks like, and it's only going to be used by someone doing data entry, then that could qualify as web content. In that case your solution gets much simpler. You can define a Structure per "form" and then one Template for each structure. The only tricky bit might be the "permissions" piece to make sure that you content admins have the rights to manage content on the site (including the control panel) but not the other features. I haven't looked to closely at the roles that come out of the box -- there may already be one that you want. If not, I am sure that there is one that is almost a match that you could copy and add/remove rights to.
thumbnail
Nick Burton,修改在8 年前。

Creating all the DDL templates for the forms and records would be straight forward, but I am uncertain about record listings and management. For example, being able to search records with tags is useful, but I don't know if that is even possible with a DDL. Being able to organise content using the Asset Display Portlet appears feature rich without any effort. Being able to format the input forms is a compromise that is offset by the Asset Display Portlet's features..

I am trying to rely on my ability as little as possible. For example, I have been struggling to get the display templates to simply display blocks of (nested) structure. Mainly because my Google searches have not provided much in the way of answers. Or, at least, answers that I understand.

Do you know of any worth while 'Freemarker for Liferay' web sites?
All I can find are sites that are too specific.
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在8 年前。

Sorry Nick, you're losing me. So are you using DDL's? or did you decide to use Web Content?
thumbnail
Nick Burton,修改在8 年前。

Sorry Andrew,

I was agreeing with you on the Web Content front.
I was just trying to explain why I came to the same conclusion, because my fear is that I am basing my decision on my technical ability to deliver over what might prove to be the correct answer longer term.

Thanks again.
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在8 年前。

Hey Nick,

I see. Well, honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much. There is almost always more than one way to solve a problem -- especially in Liferay. There will probably be people that disagree with your approach in favour of one of the others we discussed here, but I am willing to bet that there would be many that would agree with your solution as well. The good news is, if you wanted to change your approach later on, when you are more familiar with more of the portals features, Liferay often helps you along by doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

As for your question about freemaker, the freemarker docs are great. You could also post in here. One of my co-workers (Julien Mourad) participates on the forums and is quickly reaching (if he hasn't already) Freemarker + AUI + Liferay mastery emoticon
thumbnail
Nick Burton,修改在8 年前。

Thanks, Andrew. You're a star.