Foren

RE: Liferay Showcase

thumbnail
wasim shaikh, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Showcase

Junior Member Beiträge: 92 Beitrittsdatum: 16.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
As there is many amazing sites created using liferay but most of the people not aware of that.

I am creating this thread as some of the folks suggested to have some site , which will showcase the amazing sites created using liferay and people and compnay can post url and screenshots.

All the suggesions and feedback are welcome.

Please suggest name of the site.

Action Items: name of the site. - something like weloveliferay / amazingliferay emoticon

Here is the url of the public document which can be edited and saved goo.gl/0n3UJ

Some of thre references CSSMANIA.com
http://welovewp.com/

Guys behind this Brainstroming on twitter.
@juanferrub
@pcheipe
@hienamx
@juliocamarero
@wasim117

Please share your feedback / comments / suggesions.

Thanks,
Wasim
thumbnail
Wieteke den Uijl, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 56 Beitrittsdatum: 19.04.11 Neueste Beiträge
So from the twitter brainstorm: The idea is to show Liferay portals and various styles and implementations to the public and unlike the current http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/stories it should be a place where everyone can add their Liferay projects. In my opinion it should resemble what everyone in the community is doing with Liferay and show what cool things you can make with Liferay.

Many other Open Source CMSs have something similar, for example Plone: http://plone.org/support/sites or Drupal: http://showcase.acquia.com/
So how to do this? Wiki? Special Site? Part of Liferay.com? How to manage it?

and Wasim: why would you want do make it using Wordpress or Drupal while we all do Liferay? Would that not kind of defeat the purpose: showing what cool things you could do with Liferay?
thumbnail

Wieteke,

It was just refence site, showcase.liferay.com or similiar domain looks ok as you mentioned other opensource CMS already have.

The submition process should be simple so any one can submit their work , but approval of some kind to stop spamming and advertisements.

Wiki can be used for documentation instead of Google Docs , I have created emoticon
thumbnail
Szymon Gołębiewski, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 246 Beitrittsdatum: 08.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Such page needs categorization of projecst (goverment, news, richmedia, IT, Healh, Farmaceutical etc.). On main page it should display only pretty liferay sites (something like site of a day). All others will be found in gallery. There should be a webform for posting a proposal. Admin of this site will add them to gallery.
thumbnail

Categorization of type of industry and type of portal (like target group/kind of users) would be cool. These categories should be accessible from the homepage for easy search/navigation and indeed next to that the really pretty sites or cool cases.
I really like the idea of site of the day/week. A webform would be a good idea, but still gives the impression of a closed site. i would prefer to do something with a workflow, so all users with an account (everyone can join) can fill in a showcase (e.g. structured web content) and admin(s) can publish.
thumbnail

Workflow is the same thing as webform - at the end is it admin who accepts your submission emoticon
thumbnail

Another cool feature can be rating , all user can give rating to site. and user can filter site by "Top Rated"
thumbnail

@szymon that's true. With the added advantage it's already made in the correct format. Or you should make the web form in such a way each filled in form is converted into (structured) content immediately. I know it's possible but since I'm not a developer I would not know what the impact is emoticon

@wasim Not sure if I'm a big fan of rating in this case. IMHO the site should not be about who has created the best site... it should be an independent site showing all cases equally.
thumbnail

Puting new site by admin is not a big work. Check this little form http://www.cssmania.com/submit/
Bradley Wood, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

thumbnail

Hot or Not is a bad idea because it is a playground for spammers that will spam your site just too lift rating of their beloved site. Thumbs up / down it's not related to ranking in any way.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Szymon Gołębiewski:
Hot or Not is a bad idea because it is a playground for spammers that will spam your site just too lift rating of their beloved site. Thumbs up / down it's not related to ranking in any way.

Yeah, this is a great idea of course, and I'm all for showcasing Liferay in the real world. We have queued up a bunch of community improvements for the post-WCS and post-6.1 phase (when we have some time to concentrate on features that require actual web development, as opposed to simple web content apps like the activity map emoticon ).

The "display" part of this showcase is easy to implement. The "form submission" part requires some intervention by our liferay.com team, who are currently heads-down for Marketplace, WCS, and of course 6.1 emoticon So I will work on the "display" part and perhaps we can use something simple (like an email submission) until we can get the liferay.com team to do a "real" form. Too bad we don't have 6.1 running on liferay.com, this would be easy with the new User Forms feature emoticon

Some other improvements queued up: Ability for all community members to blog on liferay.com, Ability for new projects to be hosted on liferay.com (e.g. mycoolproject.dev.liferay.com), and others.

Also, I agree with Szymon, I'm not a fan of the ability to rate or comment on the quality of a liferay site. It reminds me of "Amplicate" and typically the only people who post are the people who have negative things to say or have issue with a site (or spammers).
thumbnail

Cool, great to see some action so quickly on ideas launched on twitter. And to see the options for all community members on Liferay.com be expanded.
thumbnail

Thanks for quick respponse.

James Falkner:
Some other improvements queued up: Ability for all community members to blog on liferay.com, Ability for new projects to be hosted on liferay.com (e.g. mycoolproject.dev.liferay.com), and others.

Ability to blog for community member is really cool , looking forward for that.

James Falkner:
So I will work on the "display" part and perhaps we can use something simple (like an email submission) until we can get the liferay.com team to do a "real" form.

I can work on Theme part. emoticon
thumbnail

James Falkner:

The "display" part of this showcase is easy to implement. The "form submission" part requires some intervention by our liferay.com team, who are currently heads-down for Marketplace, WCS, and of course 6.1 emoticon So I will work on the "display" part and perhaps we can use something simple (like an email submission) until we can get the liferay.com team to do a "real" form. Too bad we don't have 6.1 running on liferay.com, this would be easy with the new User Forms feature emoticon

You can always use Web Form portlet and yes, I know it can not send attachments emoticon
thumbnail

James Falkner:

In this new project can we add theme preview? Like if someone created new theme and want user to show that live preview.
Btw Market place looks awesome.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1191 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
The "form submission" part requires some intervention by our liferay.com team, who are currently heads-down for Marketplace, WCS, and of course 6.1 So I will work on the "display" part and perhaps we can use something simple (like an email submission) until we can get the liferay.com team to do a "real" form.

Since this seems to originate from the community. Why not have some community members work on an opensource portlet that does this instead.

A basic porlet that works kind of like http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/stories but has submission capabilities can be created in a few hours / days
thumbnail

First need to decide the scope of the site in details.

1. Showcase Best sites developed using liferay.
2. Showcase the potential of Liferay to potential customer/user
3. Developer/Community member can submit site Details / Screenshot/ URL
4. Its not necessary that only site owner can submit url,
5.-- please suggest/add more points --

@Wieteke,
Well every site will appear on Showcase, there will be different section for Site of week or Top sites so the Interested user can directly view the best results of Liferay instead of going through 5-10 pages and opening 2-3 sites.

@Bradley,
Hot or note, thumbs up, thumbs down. like dislike. good option.
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1261 Beitrittsdatum: 02.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi guys:
I've sent James Falkner (the community manager) an email about this, as I think this would be a nice site-project for liferay.org (the community site).
There's already a liferay guy harvesting liferay sites and publishing them in this blog , (there are already 135 sites there!) so we should have that into account and maybe use it as a starting point.
I'll ping you as soon as I have any updates about this.
Thanks a lot for your participation and ideas, guys
thumbnail

Hi All,

Any updates on this?.. share you comments and feedback.