Foren

Liferay using Mac OS X software?

thumbnail
Carlos Adolfo Ortiz Quirós, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay using Mac OS X software?

Junior Member Beiträge: 40 Beitrittsdatum: 22.05.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi everyone

This is simple.
I wonder if Apple Mac OS X software can be used as a production software for delivering a solution for Liferay server. Can anybody tell me about your experiences in using such a great software component.

I am planning Linux as a deployment system for Liferay. Can I consider Apple software? How expensive would be this deployment?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Liferay using Mac OS X software?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Wow, you're very rich! I know some people using liferay on MaxOS X as a development platform but haven't see or heard of anyone using Mac OS X as a server.
It's based on BSD so it should be ok but I usually don't put GUI nor other unnecessary software on my server.

I'm usually rolling out on with Redhat OS preinstalled on the server or using CentOS otherwise. The selection is mostly from whether non-liferay software such as Tomcat/JBoss, MySQL are also "officially" supported by the OS. I don't rolled server with software that doesn't have packaged versions available for download. (I do build from source to experimental usage but not for production).
thumbnail

RE: Liferay using Mac OS X software? (Antwort)

Hi Hitoshi

Thank you for your comments.
I admit. I have an iMac as my development platform and I indeed like it very much. I agree with you that the Apple Server side is not very popular even for production environment (besides, Apple is headed toward end user consuption and server side is not that goal) and many would argue that it could be highly costly, but as I have exeperienced wth Apple Mac in the last 2 years, they are better machines because of best product, best product materials and best hardware/software configurations and it is a fact. But not many enteprises would allow an Apple Server for its production environment, why!? Because of costs, no matter how and possibly other factors.

As I told in my thread post, besides the Apple Mac question I told to be studying the possibility about a Linux distro (which I have not yet decided which to use), I mean, I want to find the best production environment with Linux or maybe Windows Stack software.

I am conducting a lab at home using VirtualBox software stack by considering Windows, Linux with CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora (first free alternatives) and I guess that some commercial alternative could be as well considered but it is a last resort. . Using the supplied Liferay Bundle first (tomcat), but I need to consider the Application Server as well, with fail-over, and scalability, and those maybe in the commercial arena.

To consider Liferay for production there should be an analysis about 1) Best suitable OS 2) best suitable DB server 3) Best suitable Application server.
I guess that many have had this same question.

I now consider this thread answered.
thumbnail

software stack by considering Windows, Linux with CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora

Fedora and Ubuntu are more client side rather than server side. I, also, use them for development but haven't used them in production.

In a production environment, there is as always a cost issue but there is also a support issue.

Im also offering virtualization solution because the hardware cost is much less and I'm also able to configure and maintain high available system much more simpler.
I'm standardizing on JBoss because I also may do some application development and because I'm able to get more and better for it at a reasonable price.

Just wondering but does Apple offers 24x7x365 4hour support on their server hardware?
thumbnail

RE: Liferay using Mac OS X software? (Antwort)

Hi Hitoshi

Very valuable your contribution to this thread. Now, I will discard Apple for production because I don't have evidence as if OS X Server is used in a production environment and not sure about the 7x24x365 support time frame.

I will consider your considerations about software stack, it is not easy task to decide which stack software to use for Liferay (I am not even sure if a CLOUD environment is suitable for the task).

Thank again and hope to see you more around.
Linus Sphinx, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 99 Beitrittsdatum: 12.08.10 Neueste Beiträge
Built portal in Amazon cloud, works great, even managing it from Control Tier.
thumbnail

Hi Linus

Quite interesting. Can you contribute more on the subject, I mean, can you tell us more about the process of putting Liferay in Amazon Cloud and which stack/software did you use?

It would be very interesting to see how you did things come out on these matters.
Thank you.
thumbnail
Manish Yadav, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 493 Beitrittsdatum: 26.05.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,
you can get amazon EC2(Elastic Compute Cloud) cloud fromAmazon Cloud. After that you need to Configure hardware/software for server according to your project requirement. Amazon cloud is best options for server they are providing 24*7*365 support and its very cheap compare to purchasing hardware.

In one of my project we used Amazon EC2 as a server. We configure server as a Large with
Cpu Units :8 ECUs , Memory : 7.5 gb and Hardrive :850 GB

and as a software we used
Red hat as a operating system ,Liferay bundle tomcat CE 6.1 GE,mysql as a DB

you can choose operating system and DB as your project

If you need any help for creating instance and configuring server in amazon cloud please let me know i'll send screen shots for that.
thumbnail

Hi Manish

Thank you for this amazing Amazon picture. It makes me want to have more information about it. Can you provide just more information? Do you have a blog or anything else about this configuration.

For sure, this thread would like to see those screen shots you can supply.

BTW. How do you manage the document library, that is, in a file system or in the database as well. Which is the best choice?
Linus Sphinx, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 99 Beitrittsdatum: 12.08.10 Neueste Beiträge
It was quite easy really, just bought time on two hosts, one mysql, one apache, used my own jvm and set the apache server to proxy ajp, did a normal portal install, have not put open office on it as a service yet.
thumbnail
Caleb Fong, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 6 Beitrittsdatum: 24.01.11 Neueste Beiträge
As a former employee with many close friends in the Enterprise department, yes they do.
They have a $799 per incident support or 24x7 $50K contract. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D5691
Enterprise 1-866-752-7753

Hitoshi Ozawa:

Just wondering but does Apple offers 24x7x365 4hour support on their server hardware?
thumbnail

Hi Caleb

Thank you for this comment, BTW, do you know of any Liferay installation deployed in Apple Hardware and in production as of tody (Jun.20/2012).
thumbnail

Liferay is OS independent. However, OS X does use a BSD Darwin based kernel developed at UC Berkeley. Many Liferay deployments are on Linux OS. Just fyi.
As for hardware, please look at our whitepapers to see sys req. http://www.liferay.com/documentation/additional-resources/whitepapers

Carlos Adolfo Ortiz Quirós:
Hi Caleb

Thank you for this comment, BTW, do you know of any Liferay installation deployed in Apple Hardware and in production as of tody (Jun.20/2012).
thumbnail

They have a $799 per incident support or 24x7 $50K contract. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D5691
Enterprise 1-866-752-7753

Yes, but Carlos is located in Colombia. The question is if Apple has something like a 4 hour hardware support in the location where the server is going to be installed.

Liferay has a very internationalized community. :-)
thumbnail

Only had the luxury of assigning shift schedules to Enterprise Advisors in US/Canada.
This was the only public document I could find. http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Service_Plan.pdf

The best bet would be to call Applecare for that region. See what support offerings they provide.
I'd look it up for you, but my credentials no longer work. ;)

Hitoshi Ozawa:

Yes, but Carlos is located in Colombia. The question is if Apple has something like a 4 hour hardware support in the location where the server is going to be installed.

Liferay has a very internationalized community. :-)