Foren

Will Liferay do this for me?

Josh Houghton, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Will Liferay do this for me?

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 06.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
First let me say I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I'm a support manager for a point of sale company. We are in need of a a program just like Liferay. However, I'm having some issues getting it setup the way I need it.

Below is what I need it to do.

I need a wiki for the company as a whole to use.
I need each department to have it's own community where it can share the calendar and blog/forum.
I need each person to land on their department community page (I've found documentation on this one) while having their own personal page with their own calendar.
I need supervisors to have their own calendar while being a part of the department group.
I need the company administrators to have access to all of the department communities pages.

It's important for us to have the calendars separate from department to department and person to person so when someone looks at the calendar they aren't seeing what 100 other people are doing. It's also very important that I have a wiki for the entire company to use so I don't have to export and important information from one to the other.

Is all of this possible to do?

Thanks in advance.
Josh
thumbnail
Wilson Man, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Will Liferay do this for me?

Liferay Master Beiträge: 581 Beitrittsdatum: 21.06.06 Neueste Beiträge
hey Josh,

welcome to the forums first of all.
From your requirements, it looks like all those things are achievable out of the box without custom code changes. You will just need to do the following:

1. create an organization where all your users are a part of, so they can share the company-wide wiki for example.
2. for each of the departments you have, create a community (or sub-organization). message-board, calendar, document library are all segregated by community/organizations. (of course, you can then assign users into their respective sub-org.)
3. give normal users just the User role (remove power-user).
4. setup liferay to only give private community (personal web space) to power users
5. for those supervisors, make them power users so they have their own personal space (aka personal community) so they'll have their own calendar that's separate from other departmental or company-wide calendar.
6. general admins have rights to go to all departments. (you can also create admins where they only have admin rights to a community or organization.

hope that helps to get you started
thumbnail
Chris Wirth, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 77 Beitrittsdatum: 08.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
Wilson--

Thanks for that reply. Excellent.

Victor, you're always helpful, so to you too!

-Chris
thumbnail
Chris Wirth, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 77 Beitrittsdatum: 08.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
1. create an organization where all your users are a part of, so they can share the company-wide wiki for example.

Wilson, by creating a parent org where all users are a member, would the following be possible:

if ABC is my parent org, Operations is a sub-org, and HR is a sub-org to Operations – AND every portal user is a “user” of ABC – will users of ABC share permissions all the way down the tree to, say, the ability to download a document from the HR document library?

Thanks – I look forward to and greatly value your reply!

-Chris
thumbnail
Wilson Man, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 581 Beitrittsdatum: 21.06.06 Neueste Beiträge
hey Chris,

I don't have a chance to test it, but I think if you set the permission to the document to allow VIEW permission for ABC, then all users under ABC should be able to view it.

And I'm going on a 2 week vacation soon, so please don't think i'm ignoring you if I don't reply promptly. =)
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I would say that it will do all that and then some. The only issue I've had with my users here has been a training issue and that's mainly because Liferay is such a drastic change from our 5-6 year old CMS.
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1228 Beitrittsdatum: 14.04.08 Neueste Beiträge
In support to what Wilson said. We used Liferay to achieve exactly the same setup as you described, so go for it.