Foren

Localization of lang.line.begin and lang.line.end

thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, geändert vor 10 Jahren.

Localization of lang.line.begin and lang.line.end

Expert Beiträge: 268 Beitrittsdatum: 18.08.08 Neueste Beiträge
Howdy!
I'd like to be really sure what is the purpose of lang.line.begin and lang.line.end. I'm pretty sure that lang.dir should not be "translated" but "specified" to ltr or rtl.

What about lang.line.begin and lang.line.end? Can it contain only values like left and right?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 10 Jahren.

RE: Localization of lang.line.begin and lang.line.end

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Milan Jaroš:
What about lang.line.begin and lang.line.end? Can it contain only values like left and right?

Hi Milan,

I assume you're right - however, the only use of "lang.line.begin" that I've found is in LangBuilder - and there it's only providing a default value. I did not even find any use of "lang.line" so I'll assume for now that this is never used anywhere in the portal. I didn't search the plugins, and I might have missed it, but searching for "left" also didn't reveal anything that seemed relevant (though at least there are lots of hits for "left" - can't say I'm right on this)

Given the way LangBuilder handles the default values, I assume it's safe to assume that "lang.line.begin" was expected to be "left" or "right". And maybe it still is, maybe it's a relict of the past. Maybe someone who can make sense of RTL languages can try if there's an unexpected side effect if "left" and "right" are exchanged for those languages? Or just try it out in english/czech or another LTR language.

Not to mention that I'm curious to see if someone corrects me and points me to the place I've been missing where it's indeed used.
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, geändert vor 10 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 143 Beitrittsdatum: 14.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi guys,

what I can tell you about this is that I explicitly override any translation provided via Pootle for those 3 keys. I implemented such a mechanism in the sync scripts because prior to that I had to manually "revert" back those keys for all languages to their corresponding values (rtl, ltr, etc).

I think that RTL support is being improved right now here in Spanish office, I'll ask our guys for the lang.line.* usages.

Thanks,
thumbnail

Ok, thanks, good luck. ;)
thumbnail

Any news?
thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Bump. ;)
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 143 Beitrittsdatum: 14.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

I talked to one of the developers of RTL support and he thinks that properties are no longer used, but he's not 100% sure.

Since it seems that it won't be easy to find someone who solves the mistery, I decided to do some code archaeology and look for its origins.

I developed a small script that connects to our SVN server and checks each single commit difference to see if contains the interesting stuff. I had to use SVN as changes are pre-git. This will lead us to a set of revisions which could later check. I'm trying with portal repo so far (assuming that plugins don'r make use of them)

The process is not particularly quick, so I can't offer remarkable results so far...

I'll update the thread when more info is available.

Cheers
thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Hi, that sounds promising. Thanks! Maybe it could be completely removed. We will see.

I'm lucky man that I use TFS, there is such feature out-of-the-box... Behold!

emoticon
thumbnail

Hi Olaf,
thank you for digging and your effort. emoticon