Foren

Sites list in "My Sites" portlet and menu

Hiran Chaudhuri, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Sites list in "My Sites" portlet and menu

Regular Member Beiträge: 188 Beitrittsdatum: 01.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
We have Liferay Portal with about 25 organizations and 25 sites.
Via the "My Sites" portlet all these sites are accessible. However on the default Liferay theme there is a menu "My Sites" which shows ten sites that are more comfortable to reach. Two questions arise from that:

1) Since the 10 sites in the menu are a subset of all available sites, how is this subset created? I'd like to ensure the 10 most used sites are shown there, which definitely is not the case.

2) How can we modify the amount of sites visible in the menu? As the screen has space for a bigger menu, maybe we want to show 15 or 20 sites.
thumbnail
Jeffrey Paul Handa, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Sites list in "My Sites" portlet and menu (Antwort)

Liferay Master Beiträge: 541 Beitrittsdatum: 01.12.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Hiran,

There are some portal properties that provide some configuration of the My Sites functionality: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/blob/6.2.x/portal-impl/src/portal.properties#L10547-L10582. To answer you questions:

1) I haven't looked at the code, but in my local instance, the sites appear to be listed alphabetically. Since there is no property that controls this in the portal.properties, it would probably require some code to change that behavior.

2) Updating the my.sites.max.elements property would update the number of sites portal wide, but to make it more selective would require some customization.
Hiran Chaudhuri, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Sites list in "My Sites" portlet and menu

Regular Member Beiträge: 188 Beitrittsdatum: 01.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Jeffrey Paul Handa:
Hi Hiran,
There are some portal properties that provide some configuration of the My Sites functionality: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/blob/6.2.x/portal-impl/src/portal.properties#L10547-L10582. To answer you questions:

1) I haven't looked at the code, but in my local instance, the sites appear to be listed alphabetically. Since there is no property that controls this in the portal.properties, it would probably require some code to change that behavior.

2) Updating the my.sites.max.elements property would update the number of sites portal wide, but to make it more selective would require some customization.

Hello Jeffrey.

Today I just had a look at the my.sites.max.elements property, which per default is set to 10. The value I configured is 20.
In effect I got what I wished to have:
a) only 12 entries are visible at a time, but a scrollbar appears so I can scroll down to see the rest of them
b) the community that I am a member of is also displayed in the list with a different color - very nice
c) the entries are sorted alphabetically for me now as well - I hope it stays that way

So my usability problem is reduced down to zero. I'd recommend anyone to increase the value to something huge as it just loads all the entries and makes them available via scrollbar.

Thanks a lot!
thumbnail
Jeffrey Paul Handa, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Sites list in "My Sites" portlet and menu

Liferay Master Beiträge: 541 Beitrittsdatum: 01.12.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Hiran,

Very glad to hear it worked for you.

Hiran Chaudhuri:
I'd recommend anyone to increase the value to something huge as it just loads all the entries and makes them available via scrollbar.

Just be careful if you have a really large list of Sites, it could be a performance issue.