Foren

Liferay has slowed down tremendously

Alagammai Kasi, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay has slowed down tremendously

Regular Member Beiträge: 149 Beitrittsdatum: 01.08.12 Neueste Beiträge
Dear buddies,

As the new semester has started, my Liferay has gone slow like anything.

I have run everything in the Server Administration Page like Run the garbage collector to free up memory and others on the list.

I have also tried to reboot the server.

It takes more than 5 minutes for any of the mouse clicks to work.

Could it be that the MySql is failing. Its a community version.

Please advice.

Thanks - Alagu
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Liferay has slowed down tremendously

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6396 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
It's hard to say what's wrong with this amount of information. What happened since it was performing well? Can you identify the bottleneck? Disk space? Memory consumption? CPU? network bandwidth? (note: It can be any other process on the same server consuming these resources, as well as something on the mysql server - in case this is a different machine)

Also, make sure that you're not using hsql by mistake (the logs will tell you, you'll also find production data in $liferay-home/data/hsql - unless the default location was changed). Hsql will get slower the more data it has to handle.

Check if your server is using virtual memory (e.g. paging memory out to disk) - this can really eat away your performance.

Other than these "first places to look at", I can't give any more advice without more data, sorry.

Dear All,

All I notice is the number of communities and the files in each communities are growing.

I don't see any other major changes.
Abc Defg, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 16 Beitrittsdatum: 11.05.12 Neueste Beiträge
We have to restart liferay almost every day because it's leaking like a sieve and eating up memory.
thumbnail

Abc Defg:
We have to restart liferay almost every day because it's leaking like a sieve and eating up memory.

You can configure the JVM to provide a heapdump on "out-of-memory" conditions (or just manually trigger one) and check what objects are leaking. Most likely they're in custom plugins (or other applications that run on the same appserver). If not, please let us know about them, so that it can be fixed. So far, many are running Liferay without this kind of problems.

Dear Olaf Kock,

Thank you so much for your reply.

How to implement this? Any tutorials or guidance on this?

Thank You,
Alagu
thumbnail

As others have answered with known issues of the version that you use I'd say don't bother debugging, rather upgrade (and there's plenty of documentation on that). Even if you find something on 6.0.5, you'd be asked to reproduce it on the latest available version (6.1.1) or on the current master version on github - 6.0.5 is no longer maintained.

If you insist on searching for the problems, you find plenty of information googling for "heapdump" - maybe add "java" in there as well.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Which version of liferay are your using? Try using the most recent version.
Abc Defg, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 16 Beitrittsdatum: 11.05.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi Ozawa:
Which version of liferay are your using? Try using the most recent version.

We are stuck with Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.0.5 CE (Bunyan / Build 6005) and any attempt to upgrade it has failed spectacularly.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 3089 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
So your main problem is upgrading. Open another thread to see if we can help in that.

Dear Juan,

You believe the problem is because of the version?

and the solution is upgrading?

But, I didn't face this all this while?

Please give me a better picture.

Thank You so much for all that you share.

Regards,
Alagu
thumbnail

I think there was a memory leak problem in 6.0.5 as you've mentioned but some has been corrected in 6.0.6 and 6.1.1 GA2 is getting much better.

Are you by any chance using liferay on the same machine as your web browser? Just wondering because there's a difference between server memory leak problem and client memory leak problem. One of the main cause was jRuby which used to cause memory leaks. I think jRuby was used by another library to offer dynamic CSS.

Dear Hitoshi Ozawa,

No, myself and the users are using it from their own devices or machines. We don't use the browser in the server itself.

I am using version Liferay Portal Enterprise Edition 6.0 EE SP2 (Bunyan / Build 6012 / July 27, 2011).

Thank You,
Alagu
thumbnail

If you are using EE, have you applied all the patches? All patches are available from liferay.com to EE users. They probably should be applied.

Have you by any chance add more assets and permissions? Liferay checks permission on each asset so if you add too many portlets to a page, it'll slow things down.

If you can monitor your mysql transaction, check how much sql statement is being executed and response time.

I have not applied any patch but the previous administrator told me that he has applied everything.

I just took a snapshot of the processes and looks like Liferay is the one taking up more memory space

Everytime, after I restart the server, I notice the memory occupied by java (Liferay) is keep growing.

This server has only Liferay and Mysql.

So, if I am required to update any patch for this, please advice me on how to go about this.
Linus Sphinx, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 99 Beitrittsdatum: 12.08.10 Neueste Beiträge
6.05 -> 6.0.6 had to be one of the more trouble-free upgades in recent memory, automated 68 of them at once without any failing.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
I've had both Liferay 6.0.6 and 6.1.1 running for months without any memory issues and performance is hasn't degraded either.