Document Library Improvements
If there is a feature on this list that is important to you, please leave a comment stating so OR vote (thumbs up) for someone else's comment. The more votes a given feature has, the more likely it is to be included.
If you think something is missing please feel free to add it in accordance with the guidelines on the front page.
Community Posts are referenced here... Please put comments/voting on this page...
For a list of Document Management features both implemented and suggested, see the proposal for Dynamic Content Modules
Tracks suggested improvements to the Document Library by community members and Liferay Inc. Please refer to this post for instructions on how to participate.
PLEASE resist the temptation to add feature requests willy-nilly; let's have a collective sense of ownership over these requirements and make them as clear and convenient as possible. That will increase the likelihood that the feedback contained herein will be absorbed and implemented by the Liferay engineering team and its community. Thanks!
Suggested Improvements - as of 9/2009 (post 5.2) #
- Different downloadable formats (guest or public & User)
- Document must not be allowed to be deleted if it is referred some where in the portal. It must give a warning that the specified document link is already in use.
- Soft delete (move documents to trash without completely deleting)
- Full-text search on all document types: MS Office (doc, xls, ppt, docx, xlsx, pptx), OpenOffice (odt, ods, odp), PDF, txt, rtf (do we already have this?)
- Meta-data search: author, title, description, abstract, tags, publication date, expiration date
- Search n-levels deep (post)
- Make Search exclude all documents to which the user doesn't not have access. This includes NOT showing the title of the document. Example you search for yourself in the document repository and you find a document titled "Termination of (your name here)". Just giving away the title can be extremely problematic.
- Tested scalability to x repository items
- Default configuration to SAN mode?
- Ability to relocate the document store and/or parts of it to another local or non-local drive via the Control Panel
- Upgrade Jackrabbit version?
- Consider Day’s CRX drop-in replacement for Jackrabbit?
- Features / Capabilities
- When clicking the hyperlink 'no' or 'yes' it currently opens the document, instead of the expected behaviour that it locks or unlocks the document (inconsistent user experience).
- Besides 'add shortcut' to a single document, also 'add folder shortcut' to include complete folders from other communities. I am searching for a way to use the document library as a single repository from which files can be used in different communities. This is not possible at the moment. The shortcut to folder can help a bit in the intermediate stage, but more fundamentally it should be possible to have a document library which is the 'mother of all document libraries' in an organisational context (otherwise you find yourself duplicating files and folders in each community). -- Is this still applicable considering Liferay 6 now has Global Scope for Documents?
- Workflow folders: drop a document into a folder to trigger the start of a custom-designed workflow
- OCR component to convert TIFF and other unsearchable files to text
- Better / more useful default role definitions?
- Custom-definable business rules
- Manage user and instance quota disk usage
- Send a document by email
- View / UI Enhancements
- In document history it is not shown which user has updated a new version; this is not workable.
- Enhance document upload experience (it’s somewhat unintuitive right now when you upload multiple documents)
- Enhance the display of the meta-data in the current default folder view by eliminating columns and treating meta-data with primary and secondary color / font treatment. We can use the Social Office way of doing things or enhance it even more.
- Multiple folder views (icon, list, etc.)
- Create tree view of document folders
- Create customizable “My Home” tree view of document folders that can have shortcuts to folders from multiple communities
- Allow use of special characters in the folder and file names.
- Allow manual setting of revison number for those who are migrating from another document management system
- Allow storage in both file system and database
- Different file extensions per Doc Library (post)
- Better shared-drive capability
- Bug Fixes
- Eliminate bug where some documents uploaded go missing (post)
- Watch on documents (post)
- A provision must be given to uploader or admin so that he can watch on who is downloading the document. If a user enable "watch my document" then he will be intimated when other users downloads it.
- Provide the capabilities to download all or the current folder with all its documents in a zip file, so that the users can unzip it in any computer and have all the documents in the original structure. Ticket created
Suggested Improvements - Implemented #
- In-place editing: click on document, opens in browser or MS Office or OpenOffice, save directly back into repository and increment version. Note: post and post. Implemented in LPS-5214. If you are running IE, clicking on the file will start editing it in MS Office.
- CMIS implementation. Though the standard is still in flux, the 0.61 draft has been implemented: LPS-4486
- Add 'lock/unlock' function directly in the 'Actions' botton. LPS-6653
- Organize WebDAV folder by communities, users, and organizations (currently Organizations needed to be mounted one-by-one) (post) LPS-8986
- ImageMagick document previews: much like OS X, have documents auto-generate preview icons. LPS-13145
- Ability to point different parts of the Document Store to different logical or physical drives. LPS-13224