Foros de discusión

New feature: Real web content preview with working code

Oliver Bayer, modificado hace 8 años.

New feature: Real web content preview with working code

Liferay Master Mensajes: 894 Fecha de incorporación: 18/02/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi all,

Liferay is already offering a web content preview functionality so why do we need another one?

Because Liferay only shows how ONE article is getting rendered. Therefore I've started years ago to write some customizations that a webcontent-editor user can preview the whole page as it would look like if ALL articles would have been approved. This feature is extremly useful if you rely heavily on using webcontent structures/ templates and only few wysiwyg editors.

Maybe someone of you already stumbled across the following ticket. The idea was to impersonate the guest user to implement the preview functionality. While it was working great on public pages (see the following thread) it didn't work on private pages at all because they aren't accessible for guest users.

For Liferay v6.2 I've ported this solution but implemented it in a much more simple way. This hook is only using one url parameter (and of course some permission checking under the hood) and can be used on public as on private pages equally. In the following thread you will find this hook for Liferay v6.2 and a detailed step by step instruction on how to use it. With this hook a webcontent-editor user no longer looses the page context while previewing the changes.

I've proposed this feature -as it is often requested- for the upcoming Liferay v7, see community expedition forum thread.

If you have any feedback please let me know.

edit: new ticket
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 8 años.

RE: New feature: Real web content preview with working code

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14916 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
I thought wysiwyg live editing was already announced as part of L7?
thumbnail
Jorge Díaz, modificado hace 8 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 753 Fecha de incorporación: 9/01/14 Mensajes recientes
Hi Oliver,

I had not time to test your hook but it sounds very good, I will try to test it next week.
Full webcontent preview at page is a functionality requested by many users.

Oliver Bayer:

In the following thread you will find this hook for Liferay v6.2 and a detailed step by step instruction on how to use it. With this hook a webcontent-editor user no longer looses the page context while previewing the changes.

For Liferay 6.2 you should upload your hook to Liferay Marketplace, it will be easier to find and download.
Oliver Bayer, modificado hace 8 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 894 Fecha de incorporación: 18/02/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

@David:
Not sure if this feature was announced for v7. I've only read about some other cool features around webcontent management like the versioning of structures/ templates. Otherwise it must be a very secret feature as the two Jorge (Jorge Ferrer at Jira and Jorge Diaz here) both seem to be excited about this hook emoticon.

@Jorge:
Did you find some time to test this hook?
I've never released a hook as a marketplace app. If I will find some time I will try to create a marketplace app but I can't promise it. Maybe it's becoming a christmas present emoticon.

Oli
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 8 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6403 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Oliver Bayer:

I've never released a hook as a marketplace app. If I will find some time I will try to create a marketplace app but I can't promise it. Maybe it's becoming a christmas present emoticon.

It's not complicated. Create a Marketplace Dev account, create plugin, optionally enable security manager for this app (will be more popular), and upload/describe it to Marketplace. Wait ~2 weeks for the review process and that's it. I've tried it a few times, and it really works. The extra work that you'll have to do is to declare the compatible Liferay versions, describe, create screenshots, choose a license.

Don't wait for December...