Forums de discussion

Can we integrate desktop applications into liferay

thumbnail
manoj manoj, modifié il y a 11 années.

Can we integrate desktop applications into liferay

Junior Member Publications: 36 Date d'inscription: 12/04/12 Publications récentes
Hi,
I have a peculiar requirement:
A desktop application should be integrated into liferay portal.

As far as I understand, only web applications can be integrated into liferay.
I see 3 possible solutions for this:

1) Use citrix: (Suggested by my colleague):
Have a citrix server running that will host the app and we could get a portlet to display that citrix page.(not sure how it could be done)

2) Check if there is a web interface:
Some of the desktop applications provide web interface so that we can interact with application.
So we could use that interface and display some details using a customized portlet.

3) Portlet that pops up a new window:
A portlet gets notified when there is a change in the system.
The app user can then click on the link that would open up the application and the user can sign in.

a) Is it really possible to integrate a desktop app as a portlet into liferay?
b) Could some one suggest what would be the best approach
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 11 années.

RE: Can we integrate desktop applications into liferay

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
Yes, I've integrated MS Office with Liferay. I'm generating web contents and categories from MS Word and MS Excel.
thumbnail

Junior Member Publications: 36 Date d'inscription: 12/04/12 Publications récentes
Hi, Hitoshi,
Thanks for replying, we are not callling a desktop application now, we just provide an alert in liferay page and
the customer would manually login to/ open the application when he sees the alert.

But would be know some pointers on how you can integrate the desktop application.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 11 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
I think what we're doing is a little bit different from what you're thinking. We have MS Office installed on all clients. Opening a file just opens MS Office and we have VBA to interact with liferay via web service. Another way is to use something like Google Apps. Having a portlet to use Google Apps isn't too difficult.

I think the challenge of having MS Office as a portlet is more of a licensing challenge rather than a technical challenge.
thumbnail

That is what was required: a portlet that displays an app inside it.
Since it is an internal app, licencing should not be an issue.
kunal hemrajani, modifié il y a 8 années.

Regular Member Publications: 109 Date d'inscription: 21/05/15 Publications récentes
how could u do that.Please explain
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 8 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 14919 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Open your can of fairy dust while visiting fantasy land, sprinkle the dust around while making a wish to the blue fairy.