Forums de discussion

Class cannot be cast to com.liferay.portlet.RenderRequestImpl

Alex Belt, modifié il y a 10 années.

Class cannot be cast to com.liferay.portlet.RenderRequestImpl

Junior Member Publications: 49 Date d'inscription: 09/10/12 Publications récentes
I'm working on an upgrade from Liferay 5.2.3 to Liferay 6.1.1 running on Tomcat. In the portlet plugin we developed, we wrap all the portlet requests and responses. For render requests, it extends the javax.portlet.filter.RenderRequestWrapper class. This worked fine under 5.2.3. After the upgrade to 6.1.1, I now get this message:

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.gc.filter.GCRenderRequestWrapper cannot be cast to com.liferay.portlet.RenderRequestImpl

The class has a couple of methods not contained in the RenderRequest interface or the RenderRequestWrapper class that are used extensively through the plugin. Since the Lilferay class is contained in portal-impl.jar and there's a classloader issue, how do I get around it?

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
Alex
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 10 années.

RE: Class cannot be cast to com.liferay.portlet.RenderRequestImpl

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Use an EXT plugin and put your wrapping code in there.

Junior Member Publications: 49 Date d'inscription: 09/10/12 Publications récentes
Thanks David, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. I changed the class the wrapper extended to RenderRequestImpl and redeployed. Now I get this whenever it tries to process a request:
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet HomePageSummaryReports threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.liferay.portlet.PortletRequestImpl.getAttribute(PortletRequestImpl.java:141)

It seems whatever data it's trying to retrieve is always null - I see this error for every portlet it tries to process that's on the home page after login.

Thanks,
Alex
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
I guess it depends upon how your wrapper is defined and used...

I'm seeing a lot of references in portal-impl to the actual PortletRequestImpl class, so I think your wrapper must subclass it and cannot just be an interface wrapper of some kind. It also looks like the internal Liferay code expects every PortletRequest instance to be a PortletRequestImpl implementation...

You may end up being better off by replacing your direct access to RenderRequestImpl with reflection on the instance to gain access to the method(s) that you need. It will be much less intrusive...

I'm confused about how reflection would solve the problem of the wrapper needing to subclass the impl.

Also, I commented out the filters in my portlet.xml, which seems to have temporarily taken care of the issue. I think I know a way to work around the problem. Something else is causing the plugin to unload though, so I need to troubleshoot it.

Thanks,
Alex

I've followed the trail as far as I can. I'm officially giving up. The changes in how the portlet requests and sessions were too much - too many bugs, too many issues. We're going to have to overhaul our plugin to work with newer versions. I don't even want to think about how many months of effort that's going to be.
thumbnail

Since you're looking at reworking it, I'd suggest trying to do so in a portal-friendly manner; otherwise you may be facing rewrite again when the next version comes out...

In Liferay there tends to be many ways to skin the same cat; whatever functionality you achieved under 5 you can achieve in 6, but I'm betting there must be an easier way...

I agree, there are probably several easier ways than the one we used in our current version. My understanding is that long before I came to work at my current employer, we hired a consulting company for some initial portal work then took what they did and used it as a template for the rest of the portal. Supposedly, the portal followed what were best practices at the time I don't know whose idea it was to use Struts, but I wish they hadn't.

Hopefully we can get rid of Struts for something simpler, I just hope it doesn't take too long to do.

Thanks,
Alex
thumbnail

Struts is still used extensively by Liferay. Their argument is that it is a lightweight framework that fits well in the portal environment.

While that argument is true, the reality is the world has moved on. We, as web developers in general, have discarded struts a long time ago for better frameworks that are more agile and take on more of the lifecycle handling.

And since we, as developers, have moved on, it's hard to find struts resources. Kids don't want to do it (there's no future in it), experienced devs don't want to go back to it (who wants to take a step backwards on their career path), ...

In my mind, struts is akin to cobol in many respects...