Forums de discussion

Marketplace user scenarios

thumbnail
Marcel Mika, modifié il y a 8 années.

Marketplace user scenarios

New Member Publications: 18 Date d'inscription: 30/03/13 Publications récentes
Hi guys,

after having an app on Marketplace for more than 2 years I came across some user scenarios, mentioned by my customers, that are worth to discuss about.

1) Customers usually have 2 portals, one for production and one for testing purposes. They of course don't want to install an app on production without properly testing it. However, they don't want to pay the price twice either. I was always telling them that they should buy the "developer license". However, is the developer license meant to be used in the scenario? If so, I would make it way cheaper (currently it's a half a price). But, can I be sure, that the licence will work for 10 unique IP address as mentioned in the Marketplace FAQ? And what is actually going to happen when I open it with the 11th IP address?

2) Customers may have custom feature requests. Usually, I implement them and hope that it would work in their environment. However, once a time I need to give them a beta version of the app so they can test it if it works as they expected. However, If they haven't bought the license yet I don't want to give them the app either. Thus I implemented my own custom detection system that checks number of currently logged users. If the number exceeds 10 the portlet hides for the 11th user. However, this is not perfect. So it would be amazing if I could somehow distribute the beta versions to the user's that haven't bought the license yet. It might work as a 30-days trial but without a need to go through the review process. What do you think about that?

3) I'm just curious because I haven't tried it yet. But what's actually going to happen after the 30-day trial period? Is the portlet going to disappear? Or is it still there but the customer is braking the agreement?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 8 années.

RE: Marketplace user scenarios

Liferay Legend Publications: 14916 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
I'd love to be able to generate and give out "free" licenses. Because I've written a control panel, a dev license doesn't help because only admins can get it.

But if someone bought licenses for their production environment, I'd like to be able to just give them licenses for their test and dev systems.
thumbnail
JC Choi, modifié il y a 8 années.

Junior Member Publications: 30 Date d'inscription: 23/05/13 Publications récentes
Thanks for your thoughts, David. This is something we can consider. Right now, the minimum price for dev license is $10/instance. We can think about allowing 0 pricing if the user has already purchased a standard license.
thumbnail
JC Choi, modifié il y a 8 années.

Junior Member Publications: 30 Date d'inscription: 23/05/13 Publications récentes
Hi Marcel - those are good questions.

1. For installation on a separate test server, you can offer the developer license. With a developer license, once the # of unique ip's exceeds 10, you'll lose access to the control panel, and will need to restart the server.

2. If I understand you right, i think you're asking for a way to distribute a free/beta license through the MP without the app going through the review process. It's an interesting idea, but any app that bypasses the review process introduces risks (what if a developer has ill intentions and imbeds a virus? what if the beta version inadvertently breaks a portal installation?).

3. After the trial ends, the app will no longer deploy.