掲示板

Some doubts regarding updated documentation.

thumbnail
8年前 に Himanshu Bhandari によって更新されました。

Some doubts regarding updated documentation.

Regular Member 投稿: 148 参加年月日: 14/05/09 最新の投稿
Hi

What I am trying now is to read & learn Liferay from scratch with the updated documentation, with the same purpose I head over to https://dev.liferay.com/
Q. 1
Now I found Discover and It was like User guide, am I right?

Then in the development, I found -
1. Learning Path
2. Tutorials

Q. 2
Now here comes the confusion, whether I should go with Learning Path or Tutorials first?

I suppose Learning Path that I should start with, and again there was a long hierarchy given... after which I got a some options and got confused, that which should I go with. After than I thought I should go with Themes, and be "completely" aware of that how it can be developed in Liferay, but than there was a reference given of Tutorials, which when I navigated, I found a huge description about themes.

Why cannot we have a single reference for each of the topic and covered that fully instead of putting it on different places?
There must be thorough thinking for making documentation in this way, but till now I am highly confused. Please help!

Thanks.
thumbnail
8年前 に Cody Hoag によって更新されました。

RE: Some doubts regarding updated documentation.

Junior Member 投稿: 70 参加年月日: 12/04/26 最新の投稿
Hi Himanshu,

These are very good questions and I'm glad you asked them.

The answer to your first question is Yes. The Discover/Portal section is almost identical to the old User Guide. You'll also notice there are a few other sections in Discover. These sections are for the common users and system administrators.

For question two, I'll try to explain how you should approach the Tutorials and Learning Paths. As you probably know (from the obvious Develop parent section title emoticon), the learning paths and tutorials are mostly for developers. Learning paths are for new developers (not necessarily new to Liferay, but new to the technology covered in the learning path) that want a story-like guide for how to develop something. I say "story-like" because you start from scratch and build something from beginning to end. You mentioned you're trying to learn Liferay from scratch, so I'd highly recommend starting with the learning paths.

Tutorials are meant to compliment the learning paths with advanced topics that wouldn't necessarily fit into a bare bones overview of how to develop something for Liferay. They are also focused on developers who want information on a specific topic, and don't want to go through an entire learning path to get to the part they're interested in. I'd recommend you go through the tutorials you're interested in as well, but know that many of them build on the concepts covered in learning paths.

I hope my descriptions answered your questions. Let me know if you have any other questions or doubts about our new documentation site's organization.
thumbnail
8年前 に Himanshu Bhandari によって更新されました。

RE: Some doubts regarding updated documentation.

Regular Member 投稿: 148 参加年月日: 14/05/09 最新の投稿
Hi

Thanks a lot for the help with proper description, and yes I got what I wanted to know. but still one point
Why cannot we have a single reference for each of the topic and covered that fully instead of putting it on different places?

I got your point with this statement
They are also focused on developers who want information on a specific topic, and don't want to go through an entire learning path to get to the part they're interested in.

but still just give it another thought, if everything would be under a single title with different subtitles or chapters under sub chapters, than also a developer can just skip the parts he/she aware of and can focus on the thing he is looking for. Moreover the advantage of this would be that either he can go to the basic or to the advance(back and forth) with respect to that particular topic. (There are various sub advantages to this advantage but I am stopping myself here emoticon ).

anyways, Thanks emoticon