掲示板

100 Papercuts Kickoff

thumbnail
13年前 に James Falkner によって更新されました。

100 Papercuts Kickoff

Liferay Legend 投稿: 1399 参加年月日: 10/09/17 最新の投稿
All,

As you may have seen, recently I announced the formation of a new community program entitled "100 papercuts". This is modeled after the Ubuntu program of the same name. The goal is to fix small, yet annoying bugs in Liferay in a concentrated, phased effort. The process will be:
  • Vote for your "favorite" issues at issues.liferay.com. This will help prioritize issues.
  • After the voting period, choose 10 or so papercuts to fix.
  • Assign them to community members to fix during a "community sprint" period.
  • Repeat.

Several of you have volunteered, which is awesome. Here's who I have so far:

Szymon Gołębiewski
Rafał Piotrowski
Milan Jaroš
Deb Troxel
Juan Gonzalez P
Boubker TAGNAOUTI
Corné Aussems
Tomas Polesovsky
Maarten Van Heiningen

Please make sure your email addresses are correct in your liferay.com profile, I will be contacting you offline occasionally.

The first voting period will end February 1st. We have seen many of you voting already, so keep it up! I will set up a project page under the community area on liferay.com to track progress and who is doing what. Some other items I'm thinking about are:

Definition of a papercut. To be eligible for the 100 PC program, the issue must have the following characteristics:
  • The issue must exist in the latest CE release (6.0.5), or trunk (6.1.x). If it only exists in older releases (e.g. 5.2.3), then community members will never see a fix since Liferay no longer produces CE releases based on these old code bases. You'd probably be doing one of our customers a favor by fixing it, but not anyone else!
  • Be relatively easy to fix. This means an average developer should be able to fix the issue in one day's work. This one is a little subjective of course, and we will make corrections over time in our ability to guess emoticon
  • Not already be assigned to a developer or already being worked on as part of the existing Liferay software development program.

Program Structure. I am thinking that for each sprint, we concentrate on one functional area of Liferay. That way, if you are assigned 2 or more issues, they are likely related, and the fixes will be in the same area of the code. In addition, you may be able to help out other members who are working in the same area. And finally, it may be easy to attract Liferay staff members who may be experts in a particular area, to help out!

Goal. For each papercut issue, the goal is to generate a patch that fixes the issue, attach the patch to the issue in JIRA, and get the ticket status to Community Resolved. At that point, you are done, and the "normal" Liferay development process takes over, to get the changes committed to the source base. I am working on spinning up a separate program to get more community members commit rights, but that is separate from this program.

Prizes! I have secured prizes that will be awarded to top participants. More on this later, but the more you contribute, the better chance you have at winning! Liferay staff is obviously excluded from winning emoticon There may be other exclusions as well. Warning: there may also be lawyers involved before you get that tee shirt emoticon

In the coming days I'll create the 100PC tracking page. Get your development skills ready! If you are a new developer, make sure to visit the Contributing wiki page to learn about how to contribute fixes.
thumbnail
13年前 に Juan Gonzalez P によって更新されました。

RE: 100 Papercuts Kickoff

Liferay Legend 投稿: 3089 参加年月日: 08/10/28 最新の投稿
Hi James, two little questions about this:
James Falkner:

Could I assign these issues to anyone? Could I assign them to me to solve it?

Thanks very much.

I hope to solve some issues, but I guess this won't be easy :-)
thumbnail
13年前 に James Falkner によって更新されました。

Liferay Legend 投稿: 1399 参加年月日: 10/09/17 最新の投稿
Juan Gonzalez P:
Hi James, two little questions about this:
James Falkner:

Could I assign these issues to anyone? Could I assign them to me to solve it?

You surely can, but only after we identify those issues that will be included in the first sprint. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from taking ownership of any issue, as long as it's not already assigned!

Thanks very much.

I hope to solve some issues, but I guess this won't be easy :-)

Well the goal of the 100PC program is to identify those issues that are relatively easy to fix (1 developer-day).
thumbnail
13年前 に Denis Signoretto によって更新されました。

Expert 投稿: 375 参加年月日: 09/04/21 最新の投稿
Hi James,

100 papercut it's a great idea. Enhancing the idea of a Community support plugin of Sven Werlen, why don't concentrate the effort producing as output of 100 PaperCut a community support ext plugin hosted on liferay site (e.g. 100pc-6.0.x-ext)?

Bye,
Denis.