PRESS RELEASE: New Liferay Portal 6.1 EE Empowers Enterprise Business Users
Powerful content and document management combined with new power-user features extend enterprise capabilities
LOS ANGELES — (February 22, 2012) — Liferay, Inc., provider of the world's leading enterprise-class open source portal, announced today the general availability of Liferay Portal 6.1 Enterprise Edition (EE) for download. The latest version of Liferay's portal product is its richest yet, offering key usability enhancements that empower business and non-technical users to easily and effectively publish, organize, and access data and content, and quickly create applications to facilitate business processes online.
The new Liferay Portal 6.1 EE features extensive updates to existing web content and document management systems plus new capabilities that are designed to provide more power to end users. Extensive user interface updates will make document management more productive and intuitive, with desktop and mobile access, live previews, and integration to external enterprise document repositories. Liferay 6.1 EE also simplifies the development and maintenance of rich websites, with sophisticated page templates and multiple site and page version editing.
In addition, power users can easily create custom data lists and workflow-enabled forms, popular features for users to be productive creating online business processes without involving developers. The new release also integrates with Liferay Marketplace, which will allow administrators to find and install applications to extend functionality directly from the portal. For advanced customization, Liferay Developer Studio integration reduces development costs and time to market.
Key themes and features in the new Liferay Portal 6.1 EE include:
Anytime Access to the Enterprise
· New Liferay Sync: Document sharing becomes a seamless experience with online and offline synchronization to desktop and mobile devices.
· Third-party Integration: Documents can be accessed in one place through enterprise integration with Documentum, SharePoint, and other popular third-party CMIS repositories.
Better, Easier Content Organization
· Advanced Content Management: Drag-and-drop document and media libraries centralize and simplify content management.
· Dynamic Video and File Previews: Users can preview documents, images and videos before downloading them.
Flexible Multi-User Publishing
· User Customizable Sites: Administrators can now designate certain pages and sections of a page to be personalized by users.
· Multiple Website Versions: Multiple site versions can be edited simultaneously and scheduled for publication.
· Affiliated Sites Management: Liferay pages and websites maintain links to their original site templates, making it easier to propagate changes to associated sites and pages.
· New Workflow and Forms Designers: Business users can use these powerful visual editors to create web forms and workflows interactively in the browser.
· User Data Lists: Users can create custom lists online that can be tied to form submissions to model business processes such as inventory management, vacation requests, or sales order submissions.
· Advanced Workflow: Workflow processes can be applied to documents to enhance and automate approval and editing processes.
"I am extremely pleased to announce the worldwide release of Liferay Portal 6.1 EE," said Bryan Cheung, Liferay's CEO. "More than ever, enterprise users are searching for smart tools that empower them to build practical solutions on their own and on demand. Business users need to access their documents and applications whenever the need arises, whether at home or on the go via mobile, desktop, tablet, or laptop. With Liferay Portal 6.1 EE, Liferay is a platform powerful enough for global enterprises and also flexible, accessible, and easy enough for business users working at a global pace."
Other notable features of Liferay Portal 6.1 EE include enterprise system administration capabilities such as detailed auditing and reporting of portal usage against the portal database or any other database schema, as well as performance enhancements with testing against 10M users, 10M message boards entries, 1M wiki pages, 1M blogs, 1M documents.
Thus far, Liferay clients already in the process of upgrading to the new Liferay Portal 6.1 EE include Sesame Street, which won an Emmy for its website built on the Liferay platform, and leading auto parts retailer AutoZone.
Liferay makes software that helps companies create digital experiences on web, mobile and connected devices. Our platform is open source, which makes it more reliable, innovative and secure. We try to leave a positive mark on the world through business and technology. Companies such as Adidas, Carrefour, Cisco Systems, Danone, Fujitsu, Lufthansa Flight Training, Siemens, Société Générale and the United Nations use Liferay. Visit us at www.liferay.com.