Fórum

Liferay upgrade score = F

thumbnail
Terry Jeske, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay upgrade score = F

Junior Member Postagens: 42 Data de Entrada: 23/06/10 Postagens Recentes
This looks like a great release but Liferay gets a failing grade for upgrade documentation. Talk about leaving a bad first impression.

Does someone have steps that actually work for upgrading from 5.23 to 6.05? I would greatly appreciate them.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay upgrade score = F

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Have you read these?
thumbnail

Yep:

Copy your customized portal-ext.properties file to a safe place, and then undeploy the old version of Liferay and shut down your application server.

Copy the ext props makes since, but what do they mean by "undeploy the old version of liferay"? The only way I know to "undeploy" is to first shutdown tomcat then remove the ROOT folder out of webapps

Copy the new versions of the dependency .jars to a location on your server's class path, overwriting the ones you already have for the old version of Liferay.

Ok, for tomcat, copy all the jars from the new liferay lib/ext to curent lib/ext

Deploy the new Liferay .war file to your application server. Follow the deployment instructions in Chapter 2 .

Major breakdown here. There is no .war file. I copied the new ROOT dir to webapps instead -is that correct??

(chapter 2?? obviously a copy paste error).

Modify your portal-ext.properties file and set permissions.user.check.algorithm=5.

K. that was straightforward, although if this was a .war file, you would not have access to the classes dir until it was extracted on startup. Also, they should have have noted that you need to copy your existing ext.props file to the classes dir (just to be thorough).

Start (or restart) your application server. Watch the console as Liferay starts: it should upgrade the database automatically. Verify that your portal is operating normally, and then run the upgrade procedure to upgrade to permissions algorithm 6 (see below) and restart.

Starting the server upgrades my mysql instance and I believe it also upgrades the lucene indexes. However , when trying to start the portal it logs a Severe Listener Start error. I have changed the default logger in log4j.props from INFO to ERROR, but that does not give any additional information.

I have tried it the other way round as well, using the new release and tomcat, and copying the old ext libs to it etc. but that does not work either. If I could get more info on what this error was I could probably figure it out.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Terry Jeske:
Yep:

Copy your customized portal-ext.properties file to a safe place, and then undeploy the old version of Liferay and shut down your application server.

Copy the ext props makes since, but what do they mean by "undeploy the old version of liferay"? The only way I know to "undeploy" is to first shutdown tomcat then remove the ROOT folder out of webapps

You can also undeploy by nuking the ROOT and tunnel-web folders from webapps while tomcat is running. Or you can use Tomcat Manager.

Copy the new versions of the dependency .jars to a location on your server's class path, overwriting the ones you already have for the old version of Liferay.

Ok, for tomcat, copy all the jars from the new liferay lib/ext to curent lib/ext

Yep.

Deploy the new Liferay .war file to your application server. Follow the deployment instructions in Chapter 2 .

Major breakdown here. There is no .war file. I copied the new ROOT dir to webapps instead -is that correct??

For some app servers (e.g. GlassFish) there is a .war file. But you can always get the Liferay .war file from sourceforge. Look for liferay-portal-6.0.5.war.

(chapter 2?? obviously a copy paste error).

Yeah, the HTML content you see is auto-generated from the PDF admin guide. In the HTML version, there is an extra "Preface" chapter which makes all the chapter numbers be wrong. But in any case, this should be a link instead of a textual reference. It refers to chapter 2 from the PDF which describes how to deploy Liferay to an existing container like Tomcat.

Modify your portal-ext.properties file and set permissions.user.check.algorithm=5.

K. that was straightforward, although if this was a .war file, you would not have access to the classes dir until it was extracted on startup. Also, they should have have noted that you need to copy your existing ext.props file to the classes dir (just to be thorough).

Liferay 6 also introduces the "Liferay Home" directory where you can put properties files (like portal-ext.properties). This should be mentioned in the upgrade guide.

Start (or restart) your application server. Watch the console as Liferay starts: it should upgrade the database automatically. Verify that your portal is operating normally, and then run the upgrade procedure to upgrade to permissions algorithm 6 (see below) and restart.

Starting the server upgrades my mysql instance and I believe it also upgrades the lucene indexes. However , when trying to start the portal it logs a Severe Listener Start error. I have changed the default logger in log4j.props from INFO to ERROR, but that does not give any additional information.

I have tried it the other way round as well, using the new release and tomcat, and copying the old ext libs to it etc. but that does not work either. If I could get more info on what this error was I could probably figure it out.

I'd need to see the catalina.out log file content on the severe error you're getting. Can you paste that in or attach it?
thumbnail
Richard Sezov, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 220 Data de Entrada: 07/02/07 Postagens Recentes
Hi Terry,

The upgrade instructions are assuming you're upgrading Liferay, regardless of which application server you are using. We can't assume everybody is using Tomcat, or even a bundle. So the instructions are written from the perspective that you are keeping your application server, and you just want to replace Liferay, using the .war file, with the new version, on the same application server. This is the most common use case for enterprise customers. Chapter 2 is the chapter that shows how to install Liferay on all of the application servers we support. Remember: a bundle is not Liferay; a bundle is Liferay plus (i.e., bundled with) an application server.

You can download the .war file and the dependencies archive from the same location you've downloaded the Tomcat bundle.

If you're using a bundle, it's easier. You can upgrade by pointing the Liferay 6 bundle to your database. You can do this by copying your portal-ext.properties file over to the new bundle, and then making sure you set permissions.user.check.algorithm=5 in that file before starting the new bundle. Also be sure to copy your data folder from your old bundle to the new bundle. Since Liferay and its dependencies are already included in the new bundle, all you have to do is start it to begin the upgrade process.

Note that this statement is incorrect:
K. that was straightforward, although if this was a .war file, you would not have access to the classes dir until it was extracted on startup.

The recommended location of the portal-ext.properties file is not in the WEB-INF/classes folder of the Liferay installation, but (in the case of a bundle) one folder up from where the application server is stored. We call this folder Liferay Home, and it's the same location as the data and deploy folders that Liferay creates (or that already exist in a bundle). This has been the case since Liferay 5.2, and the change was made precisely because of the point you made: the config file's location needs to be outside the application server so that it is accessible. Chapter 2 of the book explains this.

I hope this clears up any confusion. We're always striving to improve our documentation, so thank you for the feedback.

--Rich
thumbnail

Hi Richard,

I see your point about the multiple server issue. I was hoping I could just drop in a couple new jars and with a restart voila, have a shiny new portal. However, it looks like whatever I do I will have to remove all my portlets and reinstall them, so at this point I am looking for the path of least resistance. Which to me means getting the latest TC bundle and just using it.

So, having done that, and worked through a dupe key issue on the db upgrade, it appears to have installed. However, it gives the following error:

23:31:13,728 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
23:31:13,728 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
23:31:13,837 INFO  [PortalImpl:3812] Current URL /web/all-blue/home generates exception: File "/html/portal/layout/view/portlet.jsp" not found
23:31:13,837 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
23:31:13,837 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
23:31:13,931 ERROR [ThemeUtil:284] _SERVLET_CONTEXT_/html/themes/classic/templates/portal_normal.vm does not exist

Portal landing page comes up blank. Any ideas?

Thank you both for your help.
thumbnail

Hey Richard,

Can you please give some advice on this?

When I start up I get:

14:57:09,298 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/standard/exclusive.tpl
14:57:09,299 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/standard/exclusive.wap.tpl
14:57:09,300 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/standard/max.tpl
14:57:09,301 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/standard/max.wap.tpl
14:57:09,302 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/standard/pop_up.tpl
14:57:09,303 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/standard/pop_up.wap.tpl
14:57:09,304 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/custom/freeform.tpl
14:57:09,305 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/custom/freeform.wap.tpl
14:57:09,306 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/custom/1_column.tpl
14:57:09,307 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/custom/1_column.wap.tpl
14:57:09,308 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/custom/2_columns_i.tpl
14:57:09,309 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/custom/2_columns_i.wap.tpl
14:57:09,309 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/custom/2_columns_ii.tpl
14:57:09,310 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:441] No content found at WAP template path /layouttpl/custom/2_columns_ii.wap.tpl
14:57:09,311 ERROR [LayoutTemplateLocalServiceImpl:395] No content found at template path /layouttpl/custom/2_columns_iii.tpl

14:57:14,922 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
14:57:14,925 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
14:57:15,033 INFO  [PortalImpl:3812] Current URL /web/all-blue/home generates exception: File "/html/portal/layout/view/portlet.jsp" not found
14:57:15,040 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
14:57:15,042 WARN  [ThemeLocalServiceImpl:121] No theme found for specified theme id brochure_WAR_brochuretheme. Returning the default theme.
14:57:15,105 ERROR [ThemeUtil:284] _SERVLET_CONTEXT_/html/themes/classic/templates/portal_normal.vm does not exist

I copied the layouttpl dir from my previous install to the ROOT dir for 6.05 and still get the same error.

Am I missing some upgrade documentation. I followed your 5 easy steps...
thumbnail

Hi Terry,

It looks like this issue doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade of Liferay, but instead with the Brochure theme you had installed in your old version of Liferay. The old 5.x theme will not work in Liferay 6. You're seeing this problem because the community or page you are accessing has been set to use this theme.

If this theme has been updated for 6.x, you need to install the 6.x version of the theme into your new installation, or you need to configure your site to use a different theme.

Hope this helps!

--Rich
thumbnail

I appreciate the response but:

It looks like this issue doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade of Liferay, but instead with the Brochure theme you had installed in your old version of Liferay. The old 5.x theme will not work in Liferay 6.

How in the world can you say that this is not an upgrade issue??? This is the definition of an upgrade issue!

Look, I know this is all obvious to you, because you live and breath your product. I am not a full time Liferay admin. I suggested it to my company as a great intranet solution. We installed it and did some minor configuration, and then left it alone. Liferay has been great and we are now looking to use it as the framework for doing portlet development, which is why we are excited about the 6.0 release. I guess I am surprised by this lack of good upgrade documentation because as a whole your wiki is excellent.

Anyway still frustrated. I have probably 3 full days into this upgrade, and nothing to show for it.
thumbnail

Hi Terry,

I'm sorry you're still having trouble. Think about it like this. Liferay 5.x -> Liferay 6.x is a significant upgrade. It's not like 5.1 -> 5.2. So it's more like an upgrade from Apple's OS 9 to OS X: because the new system is a very different platform, once the operating system is upgraded, the old applications designed for the old system no longer work: you have to upgrade to the new versions of those applications.

Similarly, if you upgrade to Liferay 6 from Liferay 5, you also need to upgrade all of your plugins at the same time. That's what's happening with your theme. Liferay makes new versions of these available in the plugin repositories, and it *should* have given you a notification at the top of the screen that a newer version of your plugins were available. If it did not, go ahead and uninstall all of your old 5.2.x plugins and then install the 6.0.x versions of the plugins, and you should be all set.

I'm sorry that the upgrade documentation wasn't detailed enough. We've taken your feedback seriously, and we'll be improving it.

Thanks!

--Rich
thumbnail

After many hours of testing and running the scripts manually, it looks like my database has been upgraded. However, when I run liferay and try to load the landing page I get:

09:33:31,760 ERROR [ThemeUtil:284] _SERVLET_CONTEXT_/html/themes/classic/templates/portal_normal.vm does not exist

I believe I uninstalled all the themes, where do I get the classic theme? From the admin docs I thought it was the default.
thumbnail

Hi Terry,

Please verify this file exists in [Tomcat Home]/webapps/ROOT/html/themes/classic/templates. You'd mentioned above that you'd copied some files around in there, which is something that you should not ever do, as that folder structure is within the Liferay application itself.

If you haven't reverted to a pristine copy of Liferay for this upgrade, you should definitely do that.

--Rich
thumbnail

Thx for the reply. I was using the liferay-portal-6.0.5.war from the dl site (renamed to ROOT.war) and that was not workig. Later I copied the ROOT dir and all non-Cogs dirs from the 6.05 bundle and was able to get the page to render.

By "reverted to a pristine copy" do you mean undeploying all portlets and themes? If so, then I deleted them form the webapps dir before I did the upgrade. Note, that the bundled tomcat to does not come with tc manager, so later I manually installed it and undeployed ROOT.
thumbnail

Hi Terry,

I was assuming / hoping that you had switched strategies and used a Liferay 6 bundle to perform your upgrade. As I'd noted above, that's by far the easiest way, because then you don't have to muck around in Tomcat's file system. From what I understand from our QA department, there are also significant security fixes that come from using the new version of Tomcat that's included in the bundle. So by "pristine," I meant a clean Liferay bundle with nothing else installed in it (including and especially the 7cogs hook, which needs to be removed if you're not using Liferay in demo mode). Once you have that running, you can then go ahead and start adding your plugins back to Liferay in order to test them.

I'm glad it's all working for you now and thanks for your comments. We'll improve the docs and get the site updated.

--Rich
thumbnail

So part your recommendations, part other things I have gleaned from the forum I have the following upgrade steps. NOTE: I am not saying this procedure works. But it the new baseline that I am going to try.

Rich, do you see any problems with it???

1. Make sure our current 5.23 deploy is using:
permissions.user.check.algorithm=5

(we were using alg. 1, and I changed it to 5 for the upgrade, I think that was causing problems. We changed it to alg. 5 and restarted 5.23, and then did the upgrade and things went smoother).

2. Uninstall all themes, plugins and custom portlets including ROOT from our 5.23 deploy
(note that the manager app is not installed as part of the bundle. You can copy the manager webapp dir from a full tomcat6 package from the apache site. See Tomcat Manager How-To for configuration info.

3. Backup your lportal db.

4. Use the latest TC bundle, and do not upgrade your existing 5.23 TC bundle (this diverges from the 5 easy steps which seemed to steer me towards upgrading, not replacing)

5. Remove all 7Cogs info in the $NEW_LIFERAY_DIR/tomcat6/webapps dir.

6. Copy your current portal-ext.properties file to the new $NEW_LIFERAY_DIR

7. Add the following to your portal-ext.properties file:
image.hook.impl=com.liferay.portal.image.DatabaseHook

8. Start tomcat an have it update your database
Note if you have problems try installing the scripts manually, and or deleting data from the dlfileversion table. See this thread for more details:Upgrade 5.23 to 6.05

Note that if the upgrade fails, it is recommended that you restore you DB and start fresh.

9. If you get upgraded, then stop the server and change the permissions alg. to 6 in portal-ext.properties
permissions.user.check.algorithm=6

10. Restart server
thumbnail

These steps got me to a fairly functioning upgrade. There are two main problems I found.

1. Our blog aggregator is empty. Not sure why it is not picking up or last blog entries.

2. I tried to add a blog entry to see if it would pick up new entries, but my public page throws the following error see attached for display screen shot.

00:09:05,839 INFO  [PortalImpl:3812] Current URL /web/tjeske/public-personal-pages generates exception: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchReso
urceActionException: CollaborationCalendar#ADD_TO_PAGE
00:09:05,883 ERROR [jsp:?] org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchResourceActionException: CollaborationCalendar
#ADD_TO_PAGE
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchResourceActionException: CollaborationCalendar#ADD_TO_PAGE
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:491)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:401)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:646)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:551)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:488)
        at com.liferay.portal.action.LayoutAction.includeLayoutContent(LayoutAction.java:361)
        at com.liferay.portal.action.LayoutAction.processLayout(LayoutAction.java:618)
        at com.liferay.portal.action.LayoutAction.execute(LayoutAction.java:229)
        at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:431)
        at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:236)
        at com.liferay.portal.struts.PortalRequestProcessor.process(PortalRequestProcessor.java:152)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.callParentService(MainServlet.java:508)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.service(MainServlet.java:485)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.BaseFilter.processFilter(BaseFilter.java:196)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:126)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.BaseFilter.processFilter(BaseFilter.java:196)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.strip.StripFilter.processFilter(StripFilter.java:309)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:123)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.gzip.GZipFilter.processFilter(GZipFilter.java:137)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.secure.SecureFilter.processFilter(SecureFilter.java:182)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.autologin.AutoLoginFilter.processFilter(AutoLoginFilter.java:254)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:646)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:436)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:374)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:302)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.FriendlyURLServlet.service(FriendlyURLServlet.java:133)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.strip.StripFilter.processFilter(StripFilter.java:261)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.gzip.GZipFilter.processFilter(GZipFilter.java:126)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.secure.SecureFilter.processFilter(SecureFilter.java:182)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.i18n.I18nFilter.processFilter(I18nFilter.java:221)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.cache.CacheFilter.processFilter(CacheFilter.java:440)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.etag.ETagFilter.processFilter(ETagFilter.java:45)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.autologin.AutoLoginFilter.processFilter(AutoLoginFilter.java:254)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.sso.ntlm.NtlmPostFilter.processFilter(NtlmPostFilter.java:81)
        at com.liferay.portal.sharepoint.SharepointFilter.processFilter(SharepointFilter.java:179)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.virtualhost.VirtualHostFilter.processFilter(VirtualHostFilter.java:239)
        at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter.doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:738)
        at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.threadlocal.ThreadLocalFilter.processFilter(ThreadLocalFilter.java:35)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:465)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:852)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchResourceActionException: CollaborationCalendar#ADD_TO_PAGE
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:491)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:401)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:551)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:488)
        at com.liferay.portal.util.PortalImpl.renderPortlet(PortalImpl.java:3723)
        at com.liferay.portal.util.PortalUtil.renderPortlet(PortalUtil.java:1180)
        at com.liferay.portlet.layoutconfiguration.util.RuntimePortletUtil.processPortlet(RuntimePortletUtil.java:160)
        at com.liferay.portlet.layoutconfiguration.util.RuntimePortletUtil.processPortlet(RuntimePortletUtil.java:94)
        at com.liferay.portlet.layoutconfiguration.util.RuntimePortletUtil.processTemplate(RuntimePortletUtil.java:256)
        at com.liferay.portlet.layoutconfiguration.util.RuntimePortletUtil.processTemplate(RuntimePortletUtil.java:181)
        at org.apache.jsp.html.portal.layout.view.portlet_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
        ... 155 more
Caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchResourceActionException: CollaborationCalendar#ADD_TO_PAGE
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:862)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.PageContextWrapper.handlePageException(PageContextWrapper.java:141)
        at org.apache.jsp.html.portal.render_005fportlet_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
        ... 173 more
Caused by: com.liferay.portal.NoSuchResourceActionException: CollaborationCalendar#ADD_TO_PAGE
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourceActionLocalServiceImpl.getResourceAction(ResourceActionLocalServiceImpl.java:80)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor328.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110)
        at com.liferay.portal.dao.jdbc.aop.DynamicDataSourceTransactionInterceptor.invoke(DynamicDataSourceTransactionInterceptor.java:44)
        at com.liferay.portal.spring.aop.ChainableMethodAdvice.invoke(ChainableMethodAdvice.java:58)
        at com.liferay.portal.spring.aop.ChainableMethodAdvice.invoke(ChainableMethodAdvice.java:58)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        at $Proxy67.getResourceAction(Unknown Source)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.doUpdateResourcePermission(ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.java:348)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.updateResourcePermission(ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.java:387)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.setResourcePermissions(ResourcePermissionLocalServiceImpl.java:301)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110)
        at com.liferay.portal.dao.jdbc.aop.DynamicDataSourceTransactionInterceptor.invoke(DynamicDataSourceTransactionInterceptor.java:44)
        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        at $Proxy69.setResourcePermissions(Unknown Source)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourceLocalServiceImpl.addResources_6(ResourceLocalServiceImpl.java:778)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.impl.ResourceLocalServiceImpl.addResources(ResourceLocalServiceImpl.java:192)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at $Proxy65.addResources(Unknown Source)
        at com.liferay.portal.service.ResourceLocalServiceUtil.addResources(ResourceLocalServiceUtil.java:280)
        at com.liferay.portal.util.PortalImpl.addDefaultResource(PortalImpl.java:4230)
        at com.liferay.portal.util.PortalImpl.addPortletDefaultResource(PortalImpl.java:562)
        at com.liferay.portal.util.PortalUtil.addPortletDefaultResource(PortalUtil.java:126)
        ... 177 more
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6396 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
You cannot just change the permission algorithm to 6 and expect that everything works. Please read the section on upgrading the permissions algorithm in the administration guide. Basically: There's a migration UI there that does the task for you. Just changing the value misses the required database settings.

Instead of singling out some values (for ImageGallery and PermissionsAlgorithm) I'd point to the legacy properties to use.

Plus, I'd advise to backup your whole Liferay installation, not just the database. Make sure you're able to recreate everything should you need it just the way it's been before updating.

Other than that, I didn't find any obvious issues with this procedure.
thumbnail

Now I am getting the following error:

com.liferay.documentlibrary.NoSuchFileException: C:\liferay-portal-5.2.3\data\images\41\81\41815.jpg

The data\images dir is empty, and data\images does not exist on my production install. Any ideas?
thumbnail

This looks like your image gallery is not migrated correctly. I've not fully internalized the long thread above - have you set the legacy properties? As far as I remember the default implementation for the ImageGallery has changed.

There's a portal-legacy-5.2.properties in webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes - please examine this and use these settings. You can migrate the ImageGallery once Liferay is running (if you want) to use some different location.
thumbnail

Thank you Olaf.

I added:

to my portal-ext.properties and the problem went away.

Rich, this might be a good addition to your soon to be updated upgrade steps.

Thx!
thumbnail

Glad to help. I believe though that portal-legacy-X.X.properties is part of the upgrade documentation that James linked in the beginning. Of course, more helps more, but this part has been well documented for quite a while.

Now, having been through this, may I ask for a revised score? ;-)
thumbnail
Suresh Nimmakayala, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 690 Data de Entrada: 18/08/04 Postagens Recentes
thats the way it is as always, upgrade is a pain as always, but you will get there
thumbnail

RE: Liferay upgrade score = C - got it working

Here are the steps I did to get my upgrade working

1. Make sure our current 5.23 deploy is using:
permissions.user.check.algorithm=5

(we were using alg. 1, and I changed it to 5 for the upgrade, I think that was causing problems. We changed it to alg. 5 and restarted 5.23, and then did the upgrade and things went smoother).

2. Uninstall all themes, plugins and custom portlets including ROOT from our 5.23 deploy
(note that the manager app is not installed as part of the bundle. You can copy the manager webapp dir from a full tomcat6 package from the apache site. See Tomcat Manager How-To for configuration info.

3. Backup your lportal db.

4. Use the latest TC bundle, and do not upgrade your existing 5.23 TC bundle (this diverges from the 5 easy steps which seemed to steer me towards upgrading, not replacing)

5. Remove all 7Cogs info in the $NEW_LIFERAY_DIR/tomcat6/webapps dir.

6. Copy your current portal-ext.properties file to the new $NEW_LIFERAY_DIR

7. Add the following to your portal-ext.properties file:

8. Start tomcat an have it update your database
Note if you have problems try installing the scripts manually, and or deleting data from the dlfileversion table. See this thread for more details:Upgrade 5.23 to 6.05

Note that if the upgrade fails, it is recommended that you restore you DB and start fresh.

9. Login to the site and go to the Control Panel, Server Admin, Data Migration, and update your permission alg. Search for Upgrading Your Permissions Algorithm on this page. Important, backup your database and your entire Liferay install before upgrading.

Note that my permissions upgrade failed when choosing the Generate Custom Roles checkbox. Leaving that unchecked allowed the upgrade to finish.

10. Stop server and change your portal-ext.properties to use alg. 6
permissions.user.check.algorithm=6

11. Copy your custom portlets back into the webapps dir.

12. Restart server.

We did not use the Ext environment, just standard portlets so most of our portlets ran without issue. Note that you will have to re-add your global libs to the $LIFERAY_NEW\tomcat\lib\ext dir.

Other notes, your Blog aggregator will be empty, but new blog entries will show up.
thumbnail

RE: Liferay upgrade score = C - got it working

Hi Terry,

thanks for sharing this, sorry for the experience. We're working on making it smoother every release, but it's not a simple task.