留言板

Is there a "good" hardware configuration for liferay development?

thumbnail
Charalampos Chrysikopoulos,修改在8 年前。

Is there a "good" hardware configuration for liferay development?

Junior Member 帖子: 79 加入日期: 11-12-9 最近的帖子
Perhaps it is a silly question, but is there a hardware configuration for a developer that gives the developer a good speed in his job? Of course the more CPU and memory the better, but it also costs. Where is golden section for a liferay developer that is working with eclipse and a liferay portal running? Is there perhaps mostly a bottleneck because of java?
For example I tried out to use a SSD but I saw no difference at the portal start time, or on the deployments. It was the same slow as with a HD.
Shouldn't there be a way to boost the speed of those waiting times that a liferay developer encounters so many times a day?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在8 年前。

RE: Is there a "good" hardware configuration for liferay development?

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
Without having hard numbers, I'd opt for maxing out the budget on memory first (assuming, of course, that the rest of the components are at least decent). As soon as you hit virtual memory, you're toast. I don't even use virtual memory, would rather like to run into an Out-Of-Memory condition than slowing down. Memory doubles as disk buffer, so you might have a point with spinning disk vs SSD, however I've seen great improvements with an SSD. This also depends on the size of projects that you're building.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Memory + SSD is important, but you can't eliminate other environmental issues.

For example, is the developer using a remote database or a local one? If the former, well then you're only going to be as fast as what that DB allows (network time included in there).

Same way if you're using a remote SOLR instance or a remote LDAP instance, ...

Me, I use a local MySql database server and have enough memory and SSD space so they're quick. I also undeploy unneeded war folders (i.e. if the dev doesn't need kaleo, then strip it out). The only things you have to have are ROOT and marketplace, everything else is optional.
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 2416 加入日期: 10-12-22 最近的帖子
I do the same things that David mentioned below. I have some pretty monstrous machines that helps as well but I have found the most effective way to develop quickly with Liferay is to use JRebel (http://zeroturnaround.com/software/jrebel/). This has improved my productivity 10 fold as it basically eliminates the need to deploy on every change. I would higly recommend it. Worth every penny.
thumbnail
Charalampos Chrysikopoulos,修改在8 年前。

Junior Member 帖子: 79 加入日期: 11-12-9 最近的帖子
Thank you all very much for your replies.