Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Subhash Pavuskar
SSO Real time Example
April 9, 2012 4:10 AM
Answer

Subhash Pavuskar

Recent Posts

I just Wanna confirm whether i am in a right direction or not for SSO and i would like to give a real time application example. pls tell me whether i am right or wrong.
Scenario 1 Ex: Suppose I logged in FB and Twitter and i want to share some video when i click on FB and Twitter Icon it ll be redirect to Particular link i.e FB and Twitter link. Is this called SSO (Single Sign On) ?

Scenario 2 Ex: Suppose I ll not login to the FB and Twitter now in this case both application ll ask for authentication is this scenario is also considered as a SSO?
David H Nebinger
RE: SSO Real time Example
April 9, 2012 5:44 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Neither one is SSO.

SSO is limited to authentication only. For this, all you're saying is that you can use whatever your FB/twitter credentials are for logging into your Liferay system (authentication is delegated to their systems, not handled by yours).

SSO was initially for enterprise users as the proliferation of logins/passwords they'd have in an office was a quick path to a security breach. Implementing an SSO solution like NTLM would have a user authenticate once and access any protected resources.

SSO for the web grew out of the same thing - one user trying to manage and maintain accounts across many different systems, which are also a quick path to a security breach. Here the SSO options allow you to use a third party credentialing system for authentication. You still have an account locally, but rely on the third party system for authentication. That way the user doesn't have to have separate accounts all over the place, they use their FB or twitter or one of the other SSO solutions.
Subhash Pavuskar
RE: SSO Real time Example
April 9, 2012 10:29 PM
Answer

Subhash Pavuskar

Recent Posts

@David H Nebinger :Thanks for your Valuable reply..