toggle
Behrang Saeedzadeh
Minimal portlets for development environment
September 14, 2006 5:49 AM
Answer

Behrang Saeedzadeh

Recent Posts

Hi,

Currently Liferay takes about 45-60 seconds to start up on my notebook. How can I improve this startup time for my development environment? Which portlets can I remove to improve the startup? Are there other ways to improve the startup time as well?

BTW - Can I deploy my Web app as an exploded directory into the Liferay's webapps folder? Currently it's not working... I thought that there might be something that needs to be done before being able to do this.

P.S - Is it possible for Liferay not to unzip the WAR files for deployment?

Regards,
Behi
Mika Koivisto
RE: Minimal portlets for development environment
September 14, 2006 6:27 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Behrang Saeedzadeh:

Currently Liferay takes about 45-60 seconds to start up on my notebook. How can I improve this startup time for my development environment? Which portlets can I remove to improve the startup? Are there other ways to improve the startup time as well?

Try using Liferay Pro with Tomcat or Jetty. My Tomcat bundle starts up in about 20 seconds.
Behrang Saeedzadeh:

BTW - Can I deploy my Web app as an exploded directory into the Liferay's webapps folder? Currently it's not working... I thought that there might be something that needs to be done before being able to do this.

Webapps yes, portlets no well actually you can but then you need to do manually the samething Liferay deployer does.
Behrang Saeedzadeh
September 14, 2006 9:15 AM
Answer

Behrang Saeedzadeh

Recent Posts

Hi Mika,

Mika Koivisto:

Try using Liferay Pro with Tomcat or Jetty. My Tomcat bundle starts up in about 20 seconds.

I am already using Liferay Pro with Tomcat. In Linux (installed on the same machine) Liferay starts a little bit faster. However still it's about 30 seconds. My notebook is an IBM R51 Centrino 1.7 with 1GB of RAM. Maybe you have one of those Core Duos?
Muhammad Suhail
September 16, 2006 4:48 AM
Answer

Muhammad Suhail

Recent Posts

Liferay tomcat is better for ordinary applications....2 things to keep in mind
1. It consumes much memory..always go for 512-1 GB m/y
2. Though it doesn't matter too much, use p4(Dual core)
3. So many unwanted portlets are there for example.....it consumes some time for loading.

tats all for lifery...remaining things are related to tweeking ur OS.
Mika Koivisto
September 21, 2006 4:37 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Behrang Saeedzadeh:

I am already using Liferay Pro with Tomcat. In Linux (installed on the same machine) Liferay starts a little bit faster. However still it's about 30 seconds. My notebook is an IBM R51 Centrino 1.7 with 1GB of RAM. Maybe you have one of those Core Duos?

I have P4 3.0GHz with HT. 768MB RAM running in VMware Workstation virtual machine. The host machine has 1,5GB RAM. I think your real bottle neck is really slow harddrive. Try running it from a USB 2.0 external HDD. Thats the way I run it in my work IBM T40.