toggle
Ivano Carrara
Liferay should separate Liferay Developer Studio from Liferay Portal EE
October 10, 2012 7:15 AM
Answer

Ivano Carrara

Recent Posts

Hi all !

I'll propose to Liferay to valuate the idea to separate Liferay Developer Studio from Liferay Portal EE.

IMO the best option for all (Liferay, developers, customers) is that anyone can buy a licensed copy of Liferay Developer Studio.

A simple scenario is a single developer or a little startup that wish to develop seriously some applications for Liferay EE, maibe using the Kaleo Designer...
Or maibe a developer wish to use the WebSphere Server adapter because their customer own this kind of server or the developer wish to propose his application to prospects using WebSphere server...

They have no option without purchase a Liferay EE license, not so cheap for some individual developers and/or little companies.

So doing, Liferay continue to sell Liferay EE plus a valuable number of Liferay Developer Studio licenses.

Why to limit the use of Liferay Developer Studio only to big organizations ?
Why don't sell Liferay Developer Studio at a reasonable price to much more developers ?

For example the professional version of MyEclipse IDE from Genuitec (http://www.myeclipseide.com) costs $63 per year ...

Thank you for comments !

Ivano C.
Gregory Amerson
RE: Liferay should separate Liferay Developer Studio from Liferay Portal EE
October 11, 2012 4:57 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Thanks Ivano for this feedback. We have some exciting plans for Developer Studio in the future version 2.0 and 2.1. While we can't publish the roadmap yet as it is still being finalized, I can say that this is the direction in which we are headed. So stay tuned!
Ivano Carrara
October 11, 2012 6:33 AM
Answer

Ivano Carrara

Recent Posts

Thanks Gregory for the good news !!

I had no dubt about the foresight of the people at Liferay :-)

Waiting to know the price of Liferay Developer Studio !

Ivano C.
Luis Mas
October 11, 2012 10:59 PM
Answer

Luis Mas

Recent Posts

Great Gregory!!!
Hitoshi Ozawa
October 17, 2012 5:04 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

With the Marketplace getting ready to accept third party plujgins it really would be good to be able to develop portlets for EE at a reasonable price. I thought CE and EE were suppose to be 100% compatible but this doesn't seem to be so.

Unless the price drops down, many developers would be developing for CE while the people with money with be using EE. Market-wise, this is a lose-lose situation.
David H Nebinger
October 17, 2012 6:25 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

At last year's East Coast Symposium, where the Marketplace was announced, James indicated that devs would be able to get a version of EE for (if I remember correctly) $50 bucks. I'm sure it would have been a limited license (so you couldn't use the license to host an EE-based website).

I haven't heard anything to know if this idea was dropped or not...