toggle
Bernardo Riveira Faraldo
share wiki portlet
May 14, 2009 9:58 AM
Answer

Bernardo Riveira Faraldo

Recent Posts

This is LR 5.2 plus CAS.

I want to share a portlet from one organization, in another organizations' pages; that portlet is a WIKI viewer.

I get the sharing portlet javascript code (the "Liferay.Widget" HTML insert code) and try to put it in another organization's page.

When those users try, It always show a permission error instead of the portlet. ("Forbidden"...)

Of course if I'm logged in it works because my user belongs to both organizations. The problem shows up when somebody from THE OTHER organization tries to see the shared portlet.

I tried adding "guest" role permission to the portlet (it already had it) and to the wiki content (viewing permission to guest role) but it did not work either.

thanks in advance
Bernardo Riveira Faraldo
RE: share wiki portlet
May 14, 2009 4:09 PM
Answer

Bernardo Riveira Faraldo

Recent Posts

also tried:

- making a new "normal role"
- assigning the users of the organization using the shared portlet that role
- assigning permission to see the original shared portlet to that role

and did not work either

anyone knows about sharing portlets between websites or between ? has anyone managed to share a portlet with content like a wiki and use it in another community, organization or external website?

thanks in advance
Victor Zorin
May 14, 2009 4:51 PM
Answer

Victor Zorin

Recent Posts

In regards to organising access to shared data/content/functions.

In many cases we use a very simple approach:
- define set of so-called shared communities, their structure and membership is usually prompted by your organisation layout
- make pages for shared communities (by deploying relevant portlets on community' private and/or public areas)
- incorporate access to pages of shared communities from main (organisation) pages
- assign communitiy memberships to portal users based on access requirements (could be automated, based on membership in each organisation)

This way you do not have to play around permissions on each portlet instance that is required to be shared. You rather place those portlets into community and manage access to entire shared community as a whole. You have less permissioning bits to deal with. You allocate CMS/admin roles to someone who will manage content and functionality of the shared areas.
Bernardo Riveira Faraldo
May 14, 2009 5:12 PM
Answer

Bernardo Riveira Faraldo

Recent Posts

thank you very much, Victor, that opened my mind to other possibilities!

anyway, ten minutes ago I noticed an exception in the log stating that I was trying to see a private page from another community. What that means is that actually, to share a portlet it must be on a public page. We don't use public pages at all, as we see them as cumbersome for our users. But creating a public page, publishing into it the wiki portlet, sharing that portlet in another organization's page (using the web content portlet to show a journal content with the Liferay.Widget application sharing code works!

I thought that we could just use the liferay 's permission system for this (to allow the portlet to be viewed by other users in other organizations) but tsadly his seems to be another limitation of liferay, as the portlet sharing support seems to be designed only to be shared outside liferay server... (to be widgets inserted in other websites like youtube's videos) It is not designed to share between communities or organizations and so honor the permissions of its users...
Victor Zorin
May 14, 2009 8:02 PM
Answer

Victor Zorin

Recent Posts

Would be glad if it can help you. We use this approach for our clients for quite some time ( including nation-wide collaboration projects ) and found that it is well accepted by business and portal managers. Security aspects are compacted in certain areas and therefore easy to maintain.
You may also find that other areas of liferay out-of-box capabilities will require additional adjustments, but it is doable. One of such areas is search, you can read about some of those issues in this thread.
Bernardo Riveira Faraldo
May 19, 2009 6:11 AM
Answer

Bernardo Riveira Faraldo

Recent Posts

Yes, search as designed in liferay has two very BIG problems as it shows result from the whole portal (thanks for the link, will take a look at it!)

but worse yet, it shows results the user should NOT see because of lack of permissions and that is a show-stopper as you cannot implement an intranet with control of content when you can see the abstract or title of hidden documents, web content and the like.
Senthil Chockalingam
June 28, 2010 5:37 AM
Answer

Senthil Chockalingam

Recent Posts

Dear Team,

we've gave view permission for the end user to access the WIKI, But that user can Edit the Wiki and he can revert the previous Version also(i.e for end user revert option also working). Please help us on.

Actually i want only give the View Access to End User. And for particualr user i want to give updated permission. it's is possible to keep the Revert option for Admin(Owner)?
this.emoticonemoticon