HP Unison Partner Portal revolutionizes partner experiences worldwide
In 2013, when Anne Anderson was appointed as Senior Director of Partner Portal and Experience at Hewlett Packard, she was faced with aging partner portals running on 10-year-old technology that had few fans among the technology giant’s 250,000 partners worldwide. Partners’ interactions with HP were dispersed across several disjointed portal experiences, scores of online tools, and all with different login steps.
To make matters worse, about 3,000 worldwide content owners from across the company were publishing to the various sites with few controls in place. Pages displayed up to 20 information links at a time. Further, an audit found that nearly 80 percent of the content was more than a year old.
Taking an outside-in approach
Anderson and her extended team determined they also needed to radically change their approach from ‘inside-out’ to ‘outside-in.’ They sought extensive feedback from HP’s partners and, armed with 10,000 survey comments, input from partner forums, and best practice advice from portal experts, decided they needed to invest in a new portal technology that could handle the complexity of:
- 3,000 content providers
- 650,000 users across 174 countries in 25 languages
- Diverse business units with millions of HP products
- A multi-tiered channel program
- Radically different types of partner businesses
- Variety of user roles among partners
- Global, 24x7 operations
A single global entry point
Using Liferay as the underlying platform, and for the first time in company history, HP was able to offer all its partners a single global URL and entry point to all of the services and tools available within the partner ecosystem: including a catalog of products, deal registration, order management, quoting and compensation, training and marketing support. Additionally, a customizable dashboard allows users to self-configure the business tools they use most to their homepage for rapid, 1-click access.
Through the new HP Partner Portal, partners were able to receive content in a targeted and relevant way through a multi-level set of permissions to deliver meaningful news, promos, homepage content, notifications, banners and more.
The key features and benefits of the HP Unison Partner Portal included:
- One partner portal with a global URL and single login to the entire HP partner ecosystem.
- Navigation organized by partner task rather than HP business structure.
- Clean, clear, consistent structure and search for easy-to-find content.
- Quick access to tools: one-click away from content and applications through customizable homepage dashboard.
- Improved performance using HP Moonshot Servers, customized
- Liferay extensions and real-time monitoring worldwide for rapid response to issues.
A year later, partner satisfaction was at an all-time high. The implementation of the Liferay technology helped HP achieve:
- More content in less time: Session times down by 33%, but 30% more content consumed during each session.
- Increased portal adoption and utilization: 92% of users visiting multiple times a week, 84% of users visiting multiple times per day.
- More effective selling: Frequent portal users winning opportunities valued 17 times higher than infrequent users.
- Partner satisfaction improvements: Triple digit increases in partner satisfaction scores across the board.
- Support efficiency gains: 85% reduction in visits requiring support.
Following the launch of the HP Unison Partner Portal, an independent study showed that HP’s portal was leading its competitors in three of the 12 categories of the benchmark established during the initial evaluation.
- Disabling your pop-up blocker
- Clearing your browser’s cache
- Disabling any plugins on your browser
- Using an alternate browser
- Updating your browser to the latest version